Laptops forum

General discussion

Interested in Compaq R3000Z except graphics card

by richfei / December 14, 2004 11:45 PM PST

Hi,
I'm still interested in getting a compaq R3000Z laptop because I want to get an AMD laptop. However I don't want a low end graphics card i.e Geforce 440.

Does anyone know if a new model is coming out with a better card anytime soon ?

If not, are there comparable laptops to the R3000Z at a similar pricepoint but with a better graphics card ?

(Please note I can take advantage of fatwallet 3%, some 10% off coupons and EPP discount if I went with HP, so that's also why I'm considering HP/Compaq laptops)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Interested in Compaq R3000Z except graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Interested in Compaq R3000Z except graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New models in 2005.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 11:48 PM PST

You'll have to wait. No company in their right mind will introduce a new model or note such for 2004 now.

Bob

Collapse -
Anything comparable now ?
by richfei / December 14, 2004 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: New models in 2005.

Hi Bob

Is there anything out there which is comparable now ?

I'm considering 3000Z largely because of price/performance of AMD over Pentium-M (although I don't know if that's a reality or just perception that the equivalent processor should be cheaper with AMD) and because of the various coupons and so on, but I'm detracted by the graphics card, since I want to run some reasonable games (not heavy duty 3d like Farcry), but I don't want to be 'too boxed in' with the graphics card

Thanks
Richard

Collapse -
Only the ones with ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2004 11:59 PM PST

Look at ATi 9700 or Geforce 5700 or better video GPUs.

Be wary of odd name makers.

If not Farcry, why won't the 440 do fine?

Bob

Collapse -
Dell 8600 has 128mb dedicated video ATI 9700
by KenSanramon / December 15, 2004 2:55 PM PST
In reply to: Only the ones with ...

An AMD 64 will benefit you in the future but until low voltate AMD 64 notebooks are out for better battery life and less weight the Pentium M (Centrino) is the best notebook option. The Dell 8600 has the 128mb dedicated video option with ATI 9700 and also the screaming fast (important for gaming also for hard drive seek time) Hitachi 7200rpm hard drive option. You can put a Hitachi 7200rpm hard drive in an HPZT3000/compaq X1000 Pentium M notebook after the fact yourself (see X1000forums.com) but that is the ATI 9200 with up to 64mb dedicated only.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.