Samsung forum

General discussion

Intenet connection speed issues (too slow)

by treble75 / August 18, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

Hello,

I have a UN55C7000 LED TV. Been running a ethenet hardline from my netgear router to my TV directly. Previously had a 3 mb speed DSL line and was having netflix HD streaming vid issues. It was stuttering. Figured the speed was too slow. A speed test on the TV gave me a 1 to 1.5 mb speed confirmation. I just upgraded to a 6 mb DSL line. I connect a laptop to the same ethernet cable I have the TV hooked up to and it reads 6.4 mb download speed. However, when I plug it back in to the TV, I still get the same stinkin slow 1 to 1.5 mb download speed I have before.

If I have confirmed the ethernet hardline is giving me that speed, what is slowing it down once it gets in the TV?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intenet connection speed issues (too slow)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intenet connection speed issues (too slow)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same Issue Here
by swgod98 / August 27, 2010 1:55 AM PDT

This forum sure is busy!!! Took me 10 pages to find a thread similar to my issue, yet there are no replies to it. I know ppl are having this issue though, because I've seen it (somewhere?!?!)...

My TV (C6500) is also getting relatively slow internet speeds (seemingly). I can't watch VUDU or Netflix in the HD modes or I get pauses for buffering constantly.

I have a 11.5Mb/s connection according to my PC (both wired and wireless via bridge). My PS3 is getting 9Mb/s via it's own wireless connection. Yet, the TV gets a mere 3Mb/s through the same connections (even when wired directly to the DSL box).

Not sure how else to test this, but it seems TV is not getting the speed it needs to stream the higher quality content. I will be getting the Netflix CD to try it via the PS3, but that is not a solution to my problem...it will simply tell me if the TV is the only one having this issue (I suspect, and reluctantly hope, it is).

I have read threads from people claiming their BS players get slow connection speeds as well. Maybe this is all related...?

In any case, if I can't get Netflix/VUDU to stream properly, the apps will not be of use to me :\ Hoping to find answers...

Collapse -
Same Complaints About Samsung LED TV
by nsenrof / August 29, 2010 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue Here

I get 30 down through Time Warner cable Internet. On my Sansung TV I get ~300kbs. Something is very wrong with this TV.

Collapse -
Me, too!
by barryd2@aol.com / August 29, 2010 11:08 PM PDT

Add me to the list... I have the C8000 TV and the 6900 BluRay... I don't know whether the problem is with Netflix or Samsung, but watching an HD streaming movie is absolutely impossible for me. Whenever I add a streaming movie to my queue, I make sure to also request it as a disk. I have a number of other wifi devices in my home, and have absolutely no other problems other than streaming Netflix. If Netflix ever hopes to convert over to streaming, they'd better get this problem solved. I would think Samsung would also like this problem corrected.

Collapse -
C8000 and Netflix
by jmollema / September 7, 2010 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Me, too!

Add me to the list as well. Samsung C8000. The netflix widget is completely useless due to contstant, and I do mean constant, buffering. However, on the same DSL line, I can use my PS3 to watch the exact same streaming content and there is NO buffering at all. I agree with some other posts I've read by googling; it's probably due to QoS agreements with XBox and PS3, that allow those devices to enjoy a much higher bandwidth from Netflix, yet Samsung doesn't have a QoS agreement with Netflix (I'm assuming), so the download speed is throttled back significantly.

Collapse -
where is the Samsung tech guy?
by barryd2@aol.com / September 7, 2010 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: C8000 and Netflix

The first message in this thread was on Aug. 18th, some three plus weeks ago... why hasn't the Samsung tech guy made any comment? I'm sure the three or four of us who have made this complaint are just the tip of the iceberg...

Barry

Collapse -
LCD TV Samsung Slow internet speed
by jamison65 / September 8, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

I have LCD TV & Blueray. I have a netgear modem/router and using the samsung linkstick.

I called Netgear and they had me change my wireless connection to a different channel so far it is streaming HD movies from Netflix fine.

Collapse -
Changing router to a different channel
by barryd2@aol.com / September 8, 2010 12:12 AM PDT

Thanks, Jamison, for that hint. I have a D-Link router, and it has the two channels, but I didn't know we could change which channel did what. I will certainly call D-Link and see if they can help me out. Again, it would have been nice if Samsung had made some suggestions in this thread...

Barry

Collapse -
Can you test your connection speed?
by swgod98 / September 8, 2010 1:27 AM PDT

I don't have trouble watching standard definition movies/shows via Netflix on my Samsung TV. It's the HD content that constantly pauses. The underlying problem is the download speed. All my devices in the house run between 9mb/s and 12mb/s. The Samsung TV gets 3-4mb/s. This isn't enough to stream the high quality HD content from Netflix and VUDU.

If you can test your TV and BRD player connection speed, please post it here to let us compare. The test option should be built into your TV and BRD player.

I do appreciate your post, however. It may help someone (?). Unfortunately, my wireless connection is exactly the same speed as my wired connection (or so the reports show). Changing the router channel is for wireless functionality (not wired), correct me if I'm wrong.

Collapse -
Changing router/modem channel
by jamison65 / September 8, 2010 2:13 AM PDT

My TV was showing 1.5 mbps before I changed the channel. The speedtest on my laptop was 10 mbps. My tv still says it is only running @ 4.8 mbps, but it has to be getting the full 10 now or the HD movies would still be freezing. I don't think the speedtest on the tv is accurate.

Collapse -
Samsung Dongle
by spongebob290 / January 29, 2012 9:12 PM PST

Yep...this worked for me.....was gonna run a cable but now it plays 3D moivies fine...chenged the Router to Ch 9

Collapse -
Consistently running 10%-20% of full network capacity
by wildderrick / September 22, 2010 1:03 AM PDT

I have 16Mb/s network speed and consistently measure 20-30Mb/s on my laptop. I know that certain internet providers are able to boost network speed for short periods of time, so I think that's why I'm seeing almost double my subscribed network speed. Samsung C670 network speed test comes back at 2-6Mb/s. It seems that the ethernet jack on the TV may have a poor connection. I noticed that I can support the cable in different positions and the network speed ranges from NO network connection up to the 2-6Mb/s. For streaming Netflix that range provides HD occasionally, and unwatchable poor quality the majority of the time.

Collapse -
Same problem Sony Bravia x950b
by klepp0906 / January 20, 2016 10:17 AM PST

Same exact issue on my 8000 dollar x950b. I have a 50mbps line and get every bit of it. I run a hardline to my tv and get roughly 13mbps. Struggling to get good quality on psnow.

I assume these tvs just don't have the processing power to have fast web or something. Or only support 10baseT.

Sickened over it

Collapse -
Netflix is 5 megabit for HD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2016 12:01 PM PST
Collapse -
Same thing
by MDB1964 / February 2, 2016 12:40 PM PST

I recently purchased a Samsung smart tv as well. Not sure of the model right now but its a super hi-def model. When I first started streaming Amazon TV through it, it worked fine then started having problems. It wouldn't load the program. I did a download speed test and the best I get is about 2.2 or so. My iMac which is on the same level as the house hits full download speeds of over 40 MBPS. I've now resolved myself to streaming the Amazon TV on my iPhone and then Air Playing through Apple TV. Would like to here someone with an answer.

Collapse -
2.2 is still half the speed we want to see.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2016 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Same thing

Did Samsung check your TV out?
Current Firmware?
DNS to 8.8.8.8?
Distance of 20 feet or less?
Ethernet cable test?

Collapse -
This old thread is closing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2016 12:56 PM PST

5+ years and it's time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?