Computer Help forum

Question

Intel(R) HD Graphics and 2560 X 1080 resolution

by SVGuss / January 29, 2016 12:32 AM PST

I have a 3 year old notebook with an internal video card. I want to buy a 2560 X 1080 monitor to connect it through HDMI port (at the moment I'm using 1920 X 1080 monitor), but some people tell me that 1920 X... is maximal resolution that an internal card like this can handle. It's all Greek to me so please can someone help me to figure out wether it will work or not.

In the properties of the video adapter I checked the button "List of all modes", maximal is 1920 X 1080. Yet some people say it is because of the monitor and should I attach a higher resolution monitor, the list will be updated. I don't know.

Here some video parameters I have no clue what is really necessary so just dump here all I could get.

Intel(R) HD Graphics
Adapter Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Architecture: VGA
BIOS Date: 03/14/20
BIOS Name: Intel Video BIOS
Chipset Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Compatibility: Intel Corporation
Current Color Mode: 32 bits per pixel
Current Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Current Scan Mode: Non-interlaced
DAC Type: Internal
Driver Date: 27.5.15
Driver Version: 9.17.10.4229
INF File Name: oem0.inf
INF Section: iSNBM0
Installed Drivers: igdumd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll
Pixel Shader Version: 3.0
Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
Vertex Shader Version: 3.0
Video Memory: 1 171,18 MB
WDDM Supported: Yes

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel(R) HD Graphics and 2560 X 1080 resolution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel(R) HD Graphics and 2560 X 1080 resolution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: resolution
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 29, 2016 12:44 AM PST

Why not try it? Take your laptop with you to the shop, plug it in and see if you can set the resolution to 2560x1080. The shop will surely help, because they want a sale.

I expect it will work, but in any shop it would be free to try.

Kees

Collapse -
shop
by SVGuss / January 29, 2016 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: resolution

The shop is an internet one, I don't have a big selection of widescreen monitors where I live unfortunately Sad

Collapse -
That's a pity.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 29, 2016 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: shop

If none of your friends or work has such a monitor try, and nobody comes here saying it works with him, then all you can do is ask the customer service of the Internet shop and be sure you can return it if they say it works, but it doesn't when you connect it and they can't help by phone.

Anyway, https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/10054/solved-whats-the-max-resoulion-supported-on-intel-hd-3000/ clearly says "no". That's a good link to use if the webshop says "yes". They should say something like: "Yes, we just tried it for you and it works splendidly. Care to come and take a look yourself? Coffee is ready."

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks!
by SVGuss / January 29, 2016 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: That's a pity.

Well, thank you. I just used the Intel® Chipset Identification Utility which tells me I have the Intel(R) 6 Series Chipset whatever it means Happy There's intel hd 3000 which does not work according to your link but there's also 4000, 5500, 5600 and I have no clue which one I have inside my machine... Damn why they make it so difficult?

I probably just buy a desktop with a separate video card Happy

Collapse -
Answer
I have a Surface Book
by orlbuckeye / January 29, 2016 6:03 AM PST

and it has the Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 chipset integrated graphics which i have 3000 x 2000 resolution. My model also has the Nvidia DGPU but I can receive the 3000 x 2000 with the Nvidia turned off.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.