Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Intell Graphics cards?

by yangman88 / January 7, 2006 3:36 AM PST

how do intel chipsets such as the Integrated Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intell Graphics cards?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intell Graphics cards?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
baddly
by 0wnz / January 7, 2006 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Intell Graphics cards?

intel cards dont compare to stand-a;one cards from nvidia or ati. BF2 might run on lowest settings, but don't expect miracles.

Collapse -
hmm...
by yangman88 / January 7, 2006 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: baddly

how do they compare to geforece 6400 go and radeon x700 mobility?

Collapse -
Not even close...
by Fredrick_NP / January 7, 2006 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: hmm...

Both of those cards are much much better. And the x700 is quite a bit better then the 6400.

Collapse -
Gameing notebooks = $$$
by Fredrick_NP / January 7, 2006 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: baddly

The cheapest notkebook I know of that is decent at graphics is the v4000T comapq. Its cheapest set up is $950 (before $50 rebate).

Also if you want to game with that you should buy a 1 GB RAM card (PC2 3200) that will run you about $60-70.

Collapse -
where?
by yangman88 / January 7, 2006 5:44 AM PST

where should i go to look for ram cards?

Collapse -
oh.
by Fredrick_NP / January 7, 2006 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: where?

newegg.com

They pretty much have the best prices too... which is nice because they have a lot of slection. Its really the only computer hardware site you need to remember.

To find the RAM you go to newegg.com, then computer hardware (a tab on the left), then memory and flash memory. Then click on memory notebooks / laptops.

Different processors take different speeds... So you cant just buy any RAM card and slap it in.

Collapse -
ok...
by yangman88 / January 7, 2006 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: oh.

ok, first of all, how do you know which one is right for you? They all say stuff like 400 DDR, timing 2-3-3-6, and unbuffered? And, how do you put switch the chips in?

Collapse -
Haha...
by Fredrick_NP / January 7, 2006 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: ok...

Actually... I dont know what the timing means and what unbuffered means. I have been meaning to look it up.. (but I am quite lazy)

Howeer... most newer notebooks have a plastic panel you can take off the bottom to access the RAM cards. As long as its the right type of RAM (Thats 400 DDR stuff lol) all you have to do is slide it into the slot and put the cover back on. Super easy.

But yah like I said.. different processors take different RAM. I know Pentium M and Celeron M processors take DDR2 PC2... do any of those cards that said DDR2 and PC2 would work with a laptop that has a Cel M or Pent M processor.

Collapse -
thanks
by yangman88 / January 7, 2006 12:34 PM PST
In reply to: Haha...

thanks alot for all your help... again...

Collapse -
Go to crucial.com
by damasta55r / January 7, 2006 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: ok...

not all centrino/pentium Ms use DDR2 memory. Older models do not.

Roger

Collapse -
i think its based on bus speed
by 0wnz / January 8, 2006 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Go to crucial.com

the slower 400mhz system bus, like you would see on a dell 700m, takes ddr memory (333 if i am not mistaken, but dont take my word for that). the newer 533mhz system bus takes ddr2 (400 i think, again i am not sure). Look at the build sheet for your system to see which you have, but the rule of thumb is to look at your speed. If it is a simple number (like 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 ghz), then you have a 400mhz bus. If it is a weird number (like 1.73, 1.86), then you have a 533 mhz system bus. Keep in mind, this is a rule of thumb and isn't always correct, so check your build sheet before you order more memory.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!