General discussion

Intel Xenon 7500 and Wndows 2008 Server?

Hello,

I own a pharamacy and we suddenly have need for a server. More and more of our business is requiring electronic records, integration with off site databases for example vendors and suppliers as well as potential federal tracking type databases, additionally there is starting to be a push for electronic records for patieints and we expect this to be more important in the next ten years. Currently we run several workstations which are not networked, so data has to be entered in different locations, we have POS machines as well which are also not integrated and it is no longer efficient to continue to work this way.

We also have the need for a web site that ties in with the order filling process, that will show a customer when their order is ready to be picked up.

Currenty we are running Windows 7 and I have talked to a couple of people who are recommending Windows 2008 servers. But I am really concerned with reliability, the ability of the system to grow with our bussiness and adapt to our needs. My vendors have stated a preference for Windows servers as well, but also say they can work with Linux.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any reassurances or let me know if Windows 2008 servers are reliable, I need them to be able to meet high workflow demands during peak hours but I also need them to be up and runnin 24/7/365, down time is not an option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Intel Xenon 7500 and Wndows 2008 Server?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Intel Xenon 7500 and Wndows 2008 Server?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry.

But no computer I know does 24/7/365. These are not made for the price you will see Windows servers for. So that's a given. Updates will arrive and a reboot and the server has failed to meet your criteria.

You may have to look at much more expensive gear to reach such a goal.
Bob

- Collapse -
Don't take my word for it.

"Yankee Group's individual corporate Linux, Windows and UNIX servers experience an average of 1 to 4 failures, per server per year resulting in downtime that ranges from 1 hour to up to 10 hours of annual downtime for each server, depending on the server operating system and its specific configuration"
http://www.iaps.com/2008-server-reliability-survey.html

There is plenty more out there so in this class of machine for this price you never see 24x7x365.

Sorry to write this but we have to deal with reality.
Bob

- Collapse -
Some more info for the OP

CNET Forums

Forum Info