Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Intel,s latest offerings

by timmylish / January 26, 2011 9:29 AM PST

So, in my continued attempt to decide on the new computer which I am seeking, how on earth am I supposed to know if the machine comes with the most up to date processor? In the info pack/shop provided info I imagine that it is hardly likely to announce this fact so how would Forum members know?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel,s latest offerings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel,s latest offerings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This one is EASY.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2011 9:34 AM PST

None of today's machines have the latest. They only have what's shipping and what has had time to get into the machines. There is always a few month lag from latest to what you see on the shelves.
Bob

Collapse -
Agree with Robert, don't be anal . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 26, 2011 10:16 AM PST

You'll NEVER get the latest because by the time the latest ships, and is available, another newest is right behind.

Get the newest you can afford and be happy with it. Because 4 months after you buy it it'll be obsolete. And this is a fact.

Collapse -
Obsolete
by pgc3 / January 26, 2011 11:46 PM PST

Oh Cory, you give them too much lead time, I'd say it is more like a month (maybe) and out come the newer, greater, etc. etc. never ending, Ad Infinitum.

Collapse -
Like Me! Obsolete!!!!!!!!!!!
by timmylish / January 27, 2011 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Obsolete

Well Gents. I have to thank you for your replies which, having thought about them, they,re already past their sell-buy dates!
Cheers.

Collapse -
How to find out about a processor...
by Doh_1 / January 28, 2011 5:09 PM PST

There are a couple of sources of information on the internet. One is the benchmark sites, that will give you the relative performance of any processor that's available to you against the rest. The other is to just look around via internet search for articles on processors. There are usually articles that will give you technical information about the latest released processors. You can also go to the manufacturers sites and look at the data available about a processor. It will generally tell you what the processor speed is, what the features are, and what the release date of the processor is. Generally, the exact release date is less important than if it has the features that you need, and how it stacks up, like "bang for the buck."

So it's the usual, just do your homework and check things out. The information you're looking for is out there.

Collapse -
how to find out about a processor
by timmylish / January 29, 2011 7:47 AM PST

Thanks for your reply. I have to tell you that I,ve spent hours and hours on the internet before coming back onto this Forum, to attempt to save people answering stupid questions. I am coming more and more to the conclusion that because of my location, on an Island off the North Coast of Africa (Tenerife!), I am going to have to accept what the major stores here have on offer and not what I particularly want. Shame really. I,ll give an instance. On Thursday night.Friday morning I found that PC City were offering, for two days only, a 20% discount on towers and lap-tops. Well I nearly had kittens when, to my amazement, they had two computers which would have been too expensive for my budget but with the discoun, were affordable. I go along a to my, and others, consternation lo and behold we were then told that Tenerife did not carry these items and could only be purchased in the Madridor Barcelona branches. OK then, says I, I,ll pay a deposit to-day and just order one and send it from Madrid to here. Yes Sir! Delighted to do so but?,
You,ll be charged the price applicable on that date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now out of my budget. You guys in the States just don,t realise the grief some of us go to in an effort to have up to date machines. I,m presently waiting to see if Amazon will deliver the HP fax/printer which I ordered last week. Normally they don,t deliver to islands so I ommited my full address and only put in the Postal Code. If this proves to be successful I will then challenge Amazon on computers. On that point anyone ever bought from Amazon an expensive computer 'cause I,ll not be able to return!!!!!
Thanks for all your patience so far.

Collapse -
The story gets worse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 9:54 AM PST

These and other forums find folk that imported a machine, have a failure and then find they have no service in their country.

This has lead me to tell folk to buy what is offered by the makers in their country.
Bob

Collapse -
The story gets worse
by timmylish / January 29, 2011 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: The story gets worse.

I take note of what you are telling me and I fully appreciate the effects of going against you honest advice. I can assure you that because of this I am more than likely to purchase from a local supplier due to the amount of money I am talking about.
Many thanks.

Collapse -
Intel Authorised Reseller
by Zouch / January 29, 2011 9:18 PM PST

Sadly, the information you would like to get your hands on is not in the public domain. The chip manufacturers, Intel included, have a hierarchy by which they get their products to market.

At the top level of the pyramid are the Distrubuters ("Disties"). These guys do not sell to consumers or end users but to the next level down the pyramid.

At the second level of the pyramid are the Authorised Resellers (ARs). Some of these have direct retail outlets, others sell on to other retail outlets.

Intel provides to both of these groups, usually twice a year, a truly excellent education programme, where all the current and near future developments are discussed and positioned in the market. The level of technical detail provided to these people is extremely high and they do have some non-disclosure supporting documentation. They will also know what products are or are not sold in your particular country, so you can avoid the "no warranty" trap that Bob highlighted.

If you really need to know the ins and outs of the current product offerings, go and discuss your requirements with one of these ARs, preferably one with a direct retail outlet. You won't usually find this level of detail knowledge in a Computer Superstore sales assistant, though there are exceptions.

As of now, the "latest" Intel offerings for mainstream PCs are the Core i3, i5 and i7 second generation processors (you might hear the code name "Sandy Bridge"). Currently, the quad cores are shipping in retail products, I believe the dual cores come next month or early March. But as all the early posters said, by Christmas, there will be something newer!

Good luck!

Collapse -
Intel authorised Reseller
by timmylish / January 29, 2011 11:03 PM PST

Thank you for your most informative information. I have digested it fully.

Collapse -
This appears to be untrue. Consider Sandy Bridge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 11:53 PM PST

You can read about future components well in advance of when they ship. You mentioned Sandy Bridge and that information has been available for a very long time. When the parts shipped is publicly known and you are right that engineering sample ship dates are rarely documented.
Bob

Collapse -
OK I,ve got 14 hours to get your advice/opinions
by timmylish / January 31, 2011 3:36 AM PST

The largest supplier of equipment ready built here on Tenerife has a discount on various computers until lunch time (local Tenerife time 5 hours ahead of Eastern Seaboard time!).
The pick of the bunch is a machine that I,m having real difficulty in deciding. Remember the start of this thread. Its the first (and likely last) NEW computer I,ve ever bought so I would like to get it right. Money is really tight as I don,t work, just live off the wife!
Here we go:-
Acer AM 5910 with i5 760 processor (am I correct that this is quad core but no hyper-threading?). 4 gb of hard disk (bit small unfortunately), carrying a Nvidia G. Force 315 Video Card (this should let me use two screens?) In some reviews it says that there is no HDMI but from looking at the info on the Card this would appear to cover that. Its reduced by 100? which brings it into the top end of my budget by 60 USD. I urgently ask for comments on this set up because when I look on various sites, incl. here, all I see is this machine with 6 gb of Ram but no separate video card which is strange to say the least. Also all the reviews I,ve found have this unit carrying 1tb of space. No that is about all the info I was able to get from looking in the shop. I don,t know what Motherboard it has but from memory Acer normally give decent ones.
Now my questions. Do you think this set-up of processor with only 4 gb of Ram will do me for some time. I cannot find if I can increase the Ram but from the fact that in reviews it shows 6 gb,s I presume that I will be able to increase at a later date, if needed. Now because of the price reduction to-day/to-morrow this might leave me sufficient to throw away the installed Windows 7 Spanish for an English version, although I,m not too sure about that since I am really at budget end.
From reading elsewhere on this Forum you tell people like me Ram Ram Ram. Is 4 sufficient? This machine also appears to have wi-fi connectivity which may be useful at some future date.

Collapse -
No Sandy Bridge for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 4:10 AM PST

Please research what happened.

As to 4GB RAM. Your post tells me that you are not a gamer with that video selection so for now 4GB should be dandy.
Bob

Collapse -
No Sandy Bridge for me (seems they have problems anyway)
by timmylish / January 31, 2011 7:07 AM PST

I thank you for indicating that 4 gb of Ram should suffice at the moment and no I,m no gamer, for the time being.
However i was kind of hoping that some-one might like to comment on the make-up of the machine I mentioned above or, am I not allowed to do that, for some reason?

Collapse -
You can do that, but Sandy Bridge is buggy today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 10:39 AM PST

That's why I noted you may not want it.

It's all over the news here.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) you can do that?
by timmylish / January 31, 2011 10:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Comment as you see fit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: you can do that?
Collapse -
you can do that but sandy bridge is buggy to-day
by timmylish / January 31, 2011 10:52 AM PST

Thought it rather amusing tbh. Shame for those folks whove invested a lot of their hard earned cash in buying junk!
On the question of this computer (Acer) which I now have like 9 hours to decide upon. May I ask you for an educated view on whether, on the info I have given, is it a decent buy, having particular regard to the limitations on me (location)? It was the only one in stock but I rather suspect that it might not be immediately noticed that this configuration seems good value. On to-day,s exchange rates it works out at 780 USD! That is after the 15% discount for to-day only? If I were to buy the Processor, hard drive, 4 gb of Ram and the video card this comes to the same price locally, more or less, of the pp of this machine!
If you could give me your opinion and, its only that, I really would be grateful.
Thanks in advance, Oh and good night to you. Well its nearly 03.00am here and I cannot find any really good info.

Collapse -
No sale.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 11:30 AM PST

Maybe I read it wrong but the model you have has "Sandy Bridge."

Why would anyone want this today?

Please keep shopping.
Bob

Collapse -
No sale
by timmylish / January 31, 2011 5:49 PM PST
In reply to: No sale.

Oh no!
After all the work you and others have done on here. I just did not realise that this is Sandy Bridge. Back to the drawing board then!
Thank you soooooooooo much for your advices which I had not previously worked out for myself. Stupid, stupid and more stupid!

Collapse -
No Sale-Yet!
by timmylish / February 1, 2011 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: No sale

I started writing an up-date only for my machine to crash (that,s one reason I wanted to buy a new one!). So I go up to the intended vendor some 50 miles away to explain why I was not proceeding, much to their indifference! I watched, in amazement,two other customers buying this unit in front of my nose, notwithstanding the articles which I showed to the vendor explaining the "Cougar" flaw. Since I was there anyway I looked around and tbh this machine and one other (which carries the i5-2300-Sandy Bridge!) were the only ones of any interest to me. On further inspecting the Acer the video card G.Force 325 does not carry more than one monitor, one of the reasons for me buying a new machine! I was informed that I would have to have either two video cards or a much more expensive card and to my amazement was then told "of course if you do either then that would break Acer,s warranty'! Get out of that one?
Yes Bob, as you say "keep on shopping" but its very difficult when faced with these booby traps everywhere.
So I travel back down south again hot-foot, cash in hand and authorised by "her indoors, and must be obeyed at all times" and go to PC City where I had had similar problems on Friday/Saturday. The only machines here of interest carry the i5-2300 but with the HD 5450 Direct X 11. I don,t even know if that enables more than one monitor.
So I am sitting here, again, in the wee small hours (I,m Scottish so I can use this terminology freely) wondering what to do. I know the money will dissipate if I don,t use it soon but I,m concerned that I spend it on a donkey not a thoroughbred. As you can probably gather the vendors here have little more knowledge on computers than I myself so I feel more comfortable seeking the help of you Guys on Cnet Forums. I think that I shall try to find a video card as inexpensive as possible and which carries a couple of monitors and then try to match that to machines sold here over the counter and hope that these may have a suitable processor. Gawd, you must think I,m totally out of my head (I don,t do drugs not alcohol!)but that,s what comes from living no more than 120 miles from the Sahara desert.

Collapse -
No sale - yet
by timmylish / February 1, 2011 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: No Sale-Yet!

Since writing the foregoing I,ve gone thru' various other articles and come across the use of USB Video adapters to overcome the lack of any, dual head cards fitted on machine here What does the jury think of that. Could I use the HDMI port to my 32" Samsung TV to use as my monitor to deal with video whilst, at the same time, using some from of USB fitting I could attach my other, standard , monitor for doing what I,m doing just now? I don,t need both to screen video output.

Collapse -
No sale - yet
by timmylish / February 1, 2011 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: No sale - yet

Reading more and more up-dates regarding the faulty chip-set I rather get the impression that this really only applies to Lap-tops! Hope I,m wrong 'cause I may have missed a good deal.

Collapse -
Didn't work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2011 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: No sale - yet

I have tried too many USB VIDEO cards and while they work for power point and such I bet you want to play some movie or game on the HDMI connection.

That will not work since the bandwidth is not there on USB 2.0.

Let's say no.
Bob

Collapse -
No purchase - yet.
by timmylish / February 4, 2011 8:33 AM PST

Bob, Many thanks for your clear, understandable response and advice which, I intend taking. Nothing further until the Intel problem is resolved and new products come on tap unless, something new becomes available.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!