Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Intel Rapid Storage Technology causing computer to shut off

I'm not sure what is going on. My computer is shutting itself off randomly, and then immediately attempts to restart itself. I thought it was due to some malicious software but I did a google search on my problem and upon following some directions (To be perfectly honest I cannot remember exactly what I did, only that I got into a menu that listed "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" with a red "X" next to the exact times the shutdowns were occurring).

I then attempted to update the drivers, but the download I got from the intel site gives me 6 files I have no idea what to do with. The files are named "iaahcic.cat", "iaAHCIC.inf", "iaStorA.sys", "iastorac.cat", "iaStorAC.inf" and "iaStorF.sys".

Also when I attempt to open Intel RST in Control Panel it immediately pops up that the program has stopped working and asks me if I would like to close it or check online for a solution. I tried checking online for a solution but the box that popped up just disappeared after 10 seconds or so.

I recently installed my OS onto a SSD and everything was great at first, but this has been happening with increasing frequency for the last month. I hope there is a quick fix.

Anonymous7231986 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel Rapid Storage Technology causing computer to shut off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel Rapid Storage Technology causing computer to shut off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Anonymous7231986

Collapse -
You can try uninstalling that.

In reply to: Intel Rapid Storage Technology causing computer to shut off

https://www.google.com/#q=intel+rst+uninstall covers it well enough.

Be sure you have a backup since SSD deaths are quite the data killers. You mention an OS install but let's hear more about post OS install. Motherboard drivers, etc.
Bob
Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: You can try uninstalling that.

Thank you for the reply. I followed all the steps but one thing that worries me is I'm still seeing certain files associated with RST in Driver view. I'm still seeing iaStorA.sys and iaStorF.sys, however when I go into Device manager > Non Plug and Play drivers Intel RST is no where to be found. Everything else seems to have proceeded without issue though, so perhaps that is nothing to worry about?

Also, yeah I learned to have quite a few backups thanks to some scares with regular hard drives a few years ago. Most of my important data is on other drives, the SSD only houses the OS and a few programs I regularly use.

Please forgive my ignorance, but how would I check what drivers my Mobo is running? I'm on Win 7 Home premium 64 bit.

Collapse -
Its still happening

In reply to: Thank you

Unfortunately it just happened again. Perhaps I haven't completely gotten rid of it.

Collapse -
what system are you running?

In reply to: Its still happening

I see an inf file for installation, but that would be for XP or earlier.

Collapse -
I never "check" motherboard drivers.

In reply to: Thank you

I go get them, install them and then I know it's right. Sorry if I'm unclear here. That is I deal with so many machines that I won't spend time looking if the right driver is installed. Why do that when I can be sure?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.