Desktops forum

General discussion

Intel Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading

by jamestony / March 18, 2005 3:13 PM PST

I just did some research on the Intel website regarding my Intel Pentium 4 Processor number 519 which comes with the Emachines T5026. It said that Hyper-Threading was turned off for this processor. Why? Does anyone know how I can turn the Hyper-Threading on or do I need a new motherboard? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel Pentium 4 Hyper-Threading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't think it is so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 7:26 PM PST

"Intel

Collapse -
Bobs right
by zacho / March 18, 2005 7:33 PM PST
In reply to: Don't think it is so.
Collapse -
I'm stuck with what i'm stuck with!!!!!
by jamestony / March 18, 2005 7:42 PM PST
In reply to: Bobs right
Collapse -
Another probable solution??
by jamestony / March 18, 2005 7:53 PM PST

I have the Intel Desktop Board D915GVWB, would this board support a pentium 4 hyper-threading cpu or better yet maybe one of intels new 6xx cpu for 64bit compatibility. Maybe I should just swap out the motherboard for a aftermarket motherboard with a new cpu. What 3rd party motherboard would fit inside my emachines T5026 case? Thanks again for all the help.

Collapse -
Still need a new CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 8:00 PM PST

The CPU you have is not the HT variety. http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/wb/ shows this board to have the needed CPU support, but this move is going to be expensive as you'll need new RAM as well as the CPU.

I wouldn't do this with the 64-bit wave approaching.

Bob

Collapse -
There are some 533 MHz FSB with Hyper-Threading
by John Robie / March 19, 2005 2:36 AM PST

I can see where you may have thought your PC could have HT by looking at this link indicating HT tech suported the 533MHz system bus: 3.06MHz. However, scrolling down, your 915GV chipset is not listed as one of those with HT.

http://www.intel.com/products/ht/hyperthreading_more.htm

They list these Intel desktop chipsets with 533/400 MHz as having HT:

910GL, 865P, 850E, 845PE, 845GE, 845GV, 845E, 845G

I also note your Pent 4 processor number 519 is not listed with those that have HT support.

Collapse -
Special CPU
by jamestony / March 19, 2005 2:01 PM PST

It looks like to me either this CPU number 519 is no longer in production right now or is a special cpu made just for Emachines with a lower FSB. It seems as all the socket LGA775 are 800fsb when mine is only 533MHz. And the lowest CPU number I can see is 520. Looks like I'll need a new CPU,motherboard, and ram by 2006.

Collapse -
eMachine T5026
by damasta55r / March 19, 2005 3:47 AM PST

My brother has this computer, which basically makes it half-mine as its in my house. I plan to upgrade the motherboard, processor and ram when the dual-core Pentium D comes out.
Roger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.