Laptops forum

General discussion

intel or amd

can somebody please tell me whether i should a laptop based around and amd athlon 64 or intel pentium m???

cnet says that pentium is the best for laptops, but i think that amd if more powerful

please reply to this as soon as u can and tell me intel or amd

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: intel or amd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: intel or amd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Build Your Own

In reply to: intel or amd

The top of the line PENTIUM M would beat almost the entire AMD Line, and offers more battery life. But no 64-bit. Be prepared! 64-bit is avilable on the 5xx series already and also on certain Celeron Ds. Not to mention The PENTIUM D and Extreme Edition. AMDs entire line except for the sempron are all 64-bit.

Collapse -
thanks just one more thing

In reply to: RE: Build Your Own

thanks for the help

now based on that i will get a intel processor

do u know of any good computer for less that 1350 that has CELERON D or PENTIUM M

some people also say that the CELERON D has many bugs

if there are bugs in the CELERON D then can u suggest a laptop less thatn 1350 for PENTIUM M

Thanks

Collapse -
RE

In reply to: thanks just one more thing

Lots possible for pentiu M under 1350. look at the HP/Compaq models or Dell 6000. Customize it and you can still meet your budget. Recommend 15.4" screen, 512MB RAM, at least 1.6GHZ PM. Dell offers best deal because it has ddr2. Or wait a year for 64-bit Pentium M code named Yonah based on 65nm.

Collapse -
graphics card question

In reply to: RE

do u know if the intel graphics media accelerator w/ 128 MB is good for 2D gaming, watching DVDs, and light 3D gaming??

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: graphics card question

It's alright, but even the lowest pci gfx card can beat it.

Collapse -
just last thing

In reply to: RE:

do u know if the ati mobility graphics card 128 mb is good for 2D gaming (strategy games), DVD's, 3D gaming (Halo, Medal of Honor), and photos and video

also, is the dell inspiron 6000 capable of handling 3D games, editing movies, and viewing pictures

Collapse -
read

In reply to: intel or amd

If you need performance, AMD is the way to go. If you need battery life, Intel is the way to go.

However, AMD has released the Turion 64 chip, which would give you both performance and battery life.

As for video, media accelator will do fine, but you certainly won't find it in an AMD notebook! The video varies, but even SiS Mirage2 video should work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.