Desktops forum

General discussion

Intel NIC upload problem

by just2Charlie / September 6, 2011 3:02 AM PDT

I have a 10/100/1000 Intel NIC that is having upload issue. I went to speedtest.net and the download would be fine but when it's testing for upload speed, it failed.

Any suggestion how to to resolve or troubleshoot this problem is much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel NIC upload problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel NIC upload problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's broke?
by Bob__B / September 6, 2011 4:45 AM PDT

Since you can get to speedtest.net I doubt the nic is dead on the upload side.

Try a different internet speed test......use google.

These test seem to use flash player.......got the latest?

Collapse -
Intel NIC upload problem
by just2Charlie / September 6, 2011 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: What's broke?

I have done that. Again, if I tried to upload anything, it would not work -- downloading is no problem. I can watch youtube or other stuff but as soon as I do any uploading, it would crawls and some sites would give me an error or time out connection.

Collapse -
Re: upload
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 6:23 AM PDT

Now why do you think it's a NIC problem? It could be a driver problem, a Windows problem, browser problem, a router problem, a modem problem, an ADSL/cable company problem, an ISP-problem.

I'd start with trying your PC/laptop somewhere else to exclude any external factor.

Kees

Collapse -
Upload problem
by Bob__B / September 6, 2011 8:52 AM PDT

As mentioned....many areas.
Call your ISP.
Explain your problem.
Those folks work this sort of problem daily......their good at it.
Maybe they can help you......or not.

Collapse -
Fixed one like that a few months back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 6:49 AM PDT

They had finally given up and asked for help.

The first thing I found were hand made cables. To my surprise they INSISTED it was not the cables. I let them tell me about the pro that installed the cables and showed them some tester that said it was fine. Sometimes you have to let them finish. I said "humor me." I pulled out a pre-made cable and it worked fine with that.

The nice part is that the full hour charge was possible because they wanted to explain in detail why it couldn't be the cable.

Sometimes you have to let them carry on.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 6, 2011 7:02 AM PDT

I'd forgotten all cables. From PC to router, from router to modem, from modem to phone outlet. So if he tries anywhere else to decide between 'inside machine' and 'outside machine' he should use his friends Ethernet cable also.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?