Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Intel Mac"Faster than Mac OS X on my Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5"

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 4:55 AM PDT

The base hardware they are renting from Apple is what we see for much less that 1K bucks on the shelf. This could be yet another reason to start loading up on Apple stock.

"The first Mac systems to sport Intel processors are expected to hit the market around the middle of next year according to statements made by Apple, though recent mumblings indicate that the company may be striving to beat those estimates by several months."

So mid 2006 could be early 2006 with presales beginning in 2005?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel Mac"Faster than Mac OS X on my Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel Mac"Faster than Mac OS X on my Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 8:13 AM PDT

I read this the other day. With the playing field leveled, with the processors, any speed bump has to be the OS.
Stocking up the stock now

Collapse -
any speed bump has to be the OS.
by jcrobso / August 12, 2005 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Neat

Well yes, M$ is proud of the fact that they can bring any processor to it's knees and grind it to a halt with inefficent code. John

Collapse -
Just a comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2005 4:19 AM PDT

How much will you pay for efficient code?

I just finished a project where a company paid very little for a software title. It wieghed in at well over 1 Megabyte, required an onerous install procedure but barely worked.

At first you may think 1+ Megabyte is fine until you find out that the target machine was a Palm PDA.

I had written some other titles for them but they know it costs real money so they tried the cheap route which worked to my advantage since it nailed down what they did and didn't want in the rewrite. The new software weighs in at about 48 thousand bytes and requires no install.

The story is one from my firsthand experiences in this field and highlights the issue is you get what you pay for.

Collapse -
by damasta55r / July 14, 2005 10:58 AM PDT

"It's fast," said one developer source of Mac OS X running on Intel's Pentium processors. "Faster than [Mac OS X] on my Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5." In addition to booting Windows XP at blazing speeds, the included version of Mac OS X for Intel takes "as little as 10 seconds" to boot to the Desktop from when the Apple logo first displays on screen.

So, Macs can run windows, but windows can't run mac?

Collapse -
That would be correct
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: ???

The Intel driven Mac will boot Windows or Mac.

Collapse -
by damasta55r / July 14, 2005 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: That would be correct

That's so unfair. Why can't both be able to dual-boot. So will macs with intels chip come standard with both??? That's what i hope to find out. If they have both, why can't everyone hop on the machintosh bandwagon

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:

The Mac's with the Intel processor will come with the Mac OS only. Although Windows will boot and run, it is not supported by Apple.
Everyone can "hop on the machintosh(sic) bandwagon", just buy yourself a Mac.

Collapse -
by yankees26 / December 30, 2005 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: NO

how is that Apple can keep a non apple pc from running Mac? I dont see how two operating systems on x86 architecture cant run on the same hardware.

Collapse -
It will be done
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 30, 2005 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: So...

by using a authentication type chip that will check to see if the logic board is manufactured by Apple or not.
Boards without the chip, will not run OS X. Apparently it is quite simple to do.
I can't remember the actual name of the procedure but it can be changed by an update to the OS, rather like a firmware update. My guess is that it will change on a frequent basis to hold back on the hackers. It would get annoying trying to run an OS that stopped working every couple of weeks and could not be updated for fear of breaking the system. Oh, wait, Windows users do that all the time. My Bad Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?