Question

Intel HD Graphics 520 - Failing to handle CCTV monitoring

Feb 9, 2016 8:02AM PST

Hi All,

We have a situation where we are using a Dell Inspiron 5759 Laptop as a Monitoring/ Client workstation using a DVTel Horizon 7.0 LNVR.

One of three identical laptops has been commisioned on a system with 17 Cameras and is working perfectly - no problems to speak of as yet.

The other two are now failing to pull up the CCTV footage in the Control Center application on a separate site with 26 Cameras.

We know that the network is good as our personal computers are able to pull up the footage instantly using the same port and IP details.

DVTel Tech support have told us that our graphics card is not up to the minimum system requirements to render the footage at speed.

If anyone could provide me with some sort of insight as to how our system is fully functioning on one site and not on the second, then please do!

Thanks in advance Happy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Intel HD Graphics 520 - Failing to handle CCTV monitoring
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Intel HD Graphics 520 - Failing to handle CCTV monitoring
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Why would take deep inspection.
Feb 9, 2016 8:21AM PST

My bet is something differs on the 2 machines. Those Intel solutions can have differences in the BIOS where memory is allocated to the video, the driver can vary and then we have OS updates that well, you have a big pile to figure out why one but not the other works.

From notebookcheck I read this: "Performance

The exact performance of the HD Graphics 520 depends on various factors like L3 cache size, memory configuration (DDR3/DDR4) and maximum clock rate of the specific model. "

The cost of figuring this out may exceed getting a laptop that meets your software's requirements.

In parting, LONG AGO, I found that in a rare Intel HD graphics system, changing the Windows background to none fixed an oddball like this one. Drove them crazy that I couldn't answer why. My guess is it freed up a little more this or that.

Another reason why I don't push my luck when it comes to things like this.

Post was last edited on February 9, 2016 8:21 AM PST

- Collapse -
Appreciated - Dell Tech Support
Feb 9, 2016 10:10AM PST

I appreciate you responding so fast, and I can understand the many thousand of possibilities relating to this!

After spending the last few hours with Dell Tech Support (very helpful) he indicated that he'd never seen anything like this. However we ran the windows experience tool, and all was able to complete apart from Video Playback. It came up with an error message saying that it wasn't able to complete for this reason. Obviously I'm wondering if this has anything to do with this!

If this has been heard of before, or a solution has been found then please advise!

- Collapse -
Since I can't see the laptop in question.
Feb 10, 2016 12:07AM PST

If it can't finish that test, my next move would be a factory restore.

A huge clue would be if the OS was not stock.

- Collapse -
You may have hit the nail on the head.
Feb 10, 2016 1:44AM PST

These laptops came with Windows 10 installed. We had to back this down to windows 7 to get full compatibility with our software hence why we can't do a factory restore.

Is there any means of testing our graphics functionality with windows 7 besides the Windows Experience test?

- Collapse -
You now have 2 tests.
Feb 10, 2016 9:18AM PST

The app and the WE.

-> Did the person that installed Windows write down the steps so anyone can reload?

I don't want to sound harsh here but I've lost count of IT that wings an install like this then you end up with one that works and another that doesn't.

As to W10, my background is electronics design in industrial control, surveillance DVRs, cameras for same and software.

Here, W10 is a hit. We don't find any reason to not move to it now. I can't guess what functions didn't work for you but often I find it's just angst or an IT staff that is not ready.

- Collapse -
Curious
Feb 10, 2016 8:54PM PST

Does the wei tool work on any of the machines?

What happens if you connect the working machine to the 26 input feed?

Search your hdd for 'dxdiag'.
Does it run on any of the machines?

CNET Forums

Forum Info