PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Intel graphics controller uninstalled, dont know how to fix

by scottyg_20 / August 3, 2004 6:27 AM PDT

I recently was trying to upgrade to a newer video card on an old computer i have. I put it in but it turned out it wasnt compatible, at least so i think. While i was trying to get the new drivers to work i uninstalled the old intel graphics drivers on the computer. I then had to take out the old card but when i try to run the computer off the old the old intel graphics card i cant get a driver to install. I tried downloading a couple drivers, but im not 100% sure of what model the graphics controller is and when i try to isntall it it says that this driver cant be used with this device.

the computer is a:
x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 6 processor
intel graphics controler
windows 98
128mb ram

any help i can get or a proper driver that will work wil be appreciated. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel graphics controller uninstalled, dont know how to fix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel graphics controller uninstalled, dont know how to fix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Intel graphics controller uninstalled, dont know how to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

Since these controllers are usually on the motherboard, I always try the motherboard makers drivers first. What make/model is the board or is it some HP/Gateway/Sony system?

Bob

Collapse -
by jconner / August 3, 2004 7:15 AM PDT

In adding in your new graphics card, besides uninstalling the old one, you will probably need to disable the onboard graphics card in the bios setup, so it will not try and re-install the old one everytime you re-boot.

This should not have disallowed you from adding the new one. However it might have asked you first for drivers for the old one each time.

Collapse -
Re: Get Aida32
by Stan Chambers / August 3, 2004 8:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
by scottyg_20 / August 3, 2004 12:14 PM PDT

I got that aida program and figured out i have a intel i752 graphics controller. I went looking for drivers but found that the drivers are bundled in with the 810 drivers. so i got them and when i tried to install it said that i could not install graphics driver on current graphics device. and to report it to technical support.

So how do i find the proper drivers then, i still cant get a thing to work. and when i tried the new video card again it wouldnt boot. it just stopped at the windows 98 screen every time. this is really messed up

Why cant the graphics controller just work like it used to?

Collapse -
I just finished an i810 Windows 2000 install last week.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 9:22 PM PDT

A few points that I will share.

1. There is NO disable in the BIOS or jumpers for the onboard video on this board. Appears to be a common design feature of i810 boards.

2. Nothing seemed to work well until I downloaded and install an i810 motherboard (then video) driver set from the motherboard maker's web site. This is where a visual identification of the motherboard is crucial. Or if it's a Gateway/HP/Sony, then you share that.

-> You didn't answer if it was or was not a name brand box! <-

3. Once I got it all working proper, then I could set the primary video setting in the BIOS to AGP or PCI. Since most i810 boards (all?) don't have AGP, then AGP means that the onboard video is the boot/primary video and PCI means that the addon card is the boot/primary video.

If you can't reveal if its a HP/Compaq/Sony do tell us. If you can't open the case and get a make/model of the motherboard (only useful if not a HP/Compaq/Sony), then tell that too. Tell why you can't open the case.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.