Desktops forum

General discussion

Intel Core2Duo 2.4Ghz with DG965WH board DEAD SLOW.

by raomk / June 15, 2007 4:01 PM PDT

Recently I got a new Desktop PC from my friend who assembled it for me.Te configuration is given below.
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E6600(2.4Ghz).
Mother Board: Intel Desktopboard DG965WHMKR
RAM: 2GB DDR2 667Mhz(1GBx2) fixed in alteranate slots,i.e
1GB in slot0 in channel one and 1GB in slot 0 in chnnel2.
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON XT1550 Series with 512MB DDR2 RAM.
HDD: 1 SATA 160GB(Boot Drive),configured as IDE in BIOS since
no RAID Drivers are loaded at the time of installing OS.
And is advised by Intel not to change it to other modes
which may cause the system won't boot,which is true.
1 PATA 40 GB HDD from the old system.All the Data and OS
is intact on this drive.
Configured to BOOT from SATA HDD,from where the system boots.
Operating System:Microsoft Windows XP Professional.
THE PROBLEM: The System is very very slow right from booting.Not only
it is slow in booting but also in opening programmes
such as Excel;Word etc.And also it is very slow in
executing a command.It shutting time is late.
I give an example.I have another PC with Intel Pentium4
1.7GHz with 1.5GHz 133mhz SD RAM havig a 4x AGP 64MB
Graphics card.When the two systems are powered on(first
the system with core2duo;later the system with Pentium4
are powered on,with a gap of min 5seconds;the time to
reach the Pentium4 system).But both systems boot at same
time.
Even after booting when I tried to open a progrme, the
programe is not opened until the LAN connected icon
appers in system tray which takes more than a 1 minute.
Where as the other old system loads the LAN icon
immediatly and opens programs immediatly.The OS in the
older system is Microsoft Windows XP Home edition with
SP2.Both are genuine softwares and validated.Both OSs
are updated regularly and are upto date.
I am very much disappointed with this new system which I
expected to perform fast.With all the money spent on the
high end system I might have got two Pentium4 r PentiumD
higher end versions than which I have now and might have
been performed better.
I do't know what is causing the system to run so slowly.
I down loaded and installed system utilities from Intel
and run it.It shows every thing is perfect.I am not a
technical person to probe the cause.And my friend who
built this system for me is also unable to find any
problem.Every things seems to be perfect,yet the system
runs dead slow compared to that out dated Pentium4.
Please can any one help me to find out the problem.
Thanks in advance to every one who helps in finding a
solution to my problem.
With regards to every one
raomk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel Core2Duo 2.4Ghz with DG965WH board DEAD SLOW.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel Core2Duo 2.4Ghz with DG965WH board DEAD SLOW.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you're looking to remove the 5 second gap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 9:36 PM PDT

If so I will sign off and remove my replies.

But the NUMBER ONE GAFFE when people load Windows is they skip installing SATA or motherboard chipset drivers. I can't imagine why they do that. But it is Windows and it's maker has yet to address this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
No,Not looking to remove 5 second gap
by raomk / June 15, 2007 10:24 PM PDT

dear Sir, I am not looking to remove that 5 second gap between the two PCs.I might have not explained my point as clearly as possible since i am not good at English.The following example may explain it a little better.There is a 20 year old boy about whom it is said that he is the world's best runner(Here it is Core2Duo with 2.4GHz).but he can not run with a man like me of 60years old(Here it is Pentium4 with 1.7GHz).The boy has all the latest equipment that he required to run fast where as the old man has got only the out dated equipment.The two are from same family.So I am not comparing with others.My point is that the boy has got every thing that he needs to be a winner.but he is not.From your reply I got it that is the fault not to load RAID drivers.Is there a way now to load that RAID drivers to load without reinstalling the OS.If to reinstall OS I think we have to FORMAT the drive there by loosing everything on that drive and reinstalling all programs and again geting validation from Microsoft and getting all that updates.A very tidious job taking at least two days.Suppose if i do all this, does it solve my problem.Pl advice me step by step since I already told that I am not a technician.
Thanking You
raomk

Collapse -
Maybe not the raid drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 10:36 PM PDT

But the motherboard chipset drivers. Your post neglects to share the EXACT steps you took in installing Windows.

I know it sounds incredible that in this day and age that the Windows installer doesn't ask for the needed drivers but it's true. YOU need to do a proper install.

Do no ask me to detail how to install windows (others may answer, just not me). Why? Because of the hundreds of web sites that detail this out as well as the place you bought it from should be telling you how.

Bob

Collapse -
Steps in installing Windows
by raomk / June 18, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

Dear Sir,
Sorry for the delay in replying.I was unable to talk with my friend who built this system for me.Hewas out of the city. Anyway I contactd him by phone.Wat he said is this.After he inserted the Windows CD into DVD drive,He followed the instructions on the screen except that message to insert RAID drivers. And after installing the OS he installed mother board drivers.And after that he installed graphics card drivers.That is the order he followed.That is all I know.
Now pl advice me what to do.Do I have to reinstall the OS.
And many many thanks to you for your advice and for spending your valuble time spent for me.
raomk

Collapse -
Since the drivers "CD" was used I'd look to the maker's....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2007 3:50 AM PDT

The maker's website should be our next stop. Often what is on the drivers CD is woefully out of date. There is no maker yet that will update those CDs if they have CDs in the stockroom even if said CD is out of date.

Try latest drivers for your system.

Bob

Collapse -
This may help :-)
by jithinraj / June 26, 2007 4:02 PM PDT

Hi Raomk,

i'm having the exact config of your system except for the graphics card. I too faced the speed problem when i installed winxpsp2 prof.
The way i got over the issue was to reinstall windows thereby installing the raid drivers.
Once i got the raid drivers installed, the whole installation of windows was fast and also the system is showing the expected performace boost. And also, i did change the RAM slots a bit. Now i've put the chips in the same channel.
EE6600 2.4 GHz has got a superb price to performace ratio. ONce you do this, your system will rock Happy
My system config is as follows.

Intel E6600 2.4GHz processor
Intel DG965WH M/B
Transcend 667MHz RAM 2GB (1 x 2)
Seagate 160 GB SATA
Liteon 20x DVD/RW

cheers,
jithu

Collapse -
sorry forgot to mention one thing
by jithinraj / June 26, 2007 4:06 PM PDT
In reply to: This may help :-)

also, change in bios
advanced - > drive config -> type to RAID.
(dont remember the exact words, sorry)

cheers,
jithu

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.