Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Intel Core i3 to i7 upgrade, possible?

by minions301 / August 5, 2014 2:00 AM PDT

I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion dv4-2165dx that has an Intel Core i3 processor. Assuming I could find a processor with the right socket type, is it possible to swap the i3 for an i7? Would it be worth it/would I see a noticeable difference?

minions301 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intel Core i3 to i7 upgrade, possible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intel Core i3 to i7 upgrade, possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by minions301

Collapse -
Probably not to both questions
by wpgwpg / August 5, 2014 2:56 AM PDT

You really need to ask HP for a definitive answer, but I'll go so far as to say it's not likely this would work, and if it did, you wouldn't likely see much performance benefit. The reason is that the motherboard and RAM are customized for the processor your computer had when new. A 4 year old motherboard isn't likely to support all the features of a new CPU, but even if it somehow worked, the bus speeds and memory speeds wouldn't be likely to keep up with the increased speed of the I7 processor.

Collapse -
Since most are soldered down.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2014 3:04 AM PDT

Did you see a socket?

Collapse -
by minions301 / August 7, 2014 2:32 PM PDT

Yes, there is a socket. I have a Core i3-330M with a PGA988 socket, and looking at the comparisons on Intel's site, it seems that the i7-620M and i7-640M would be compatible, as long as my BIOS can accept it. But who knows. I'm still deciding. Would I see much of a difference? Also, I've seen a few forum threads where people have said they've upgraded from a dual core to a quad core? Is that even possible?

Collapse -
A difference at what?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2014 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Overall I have to write no. Certainly it won't help games but could help video transcoding with Handbrake.

My wife has some old HP laptop with the i7 three number M series and it's a lot more power. I would not be doing this without the maker telling you it would work or if you are willing to take risks.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?