Laptops forum

General discussion

Integrated video card question

by 89searinox / November 20, 2007 4:55 AM PST

Hi, I'm looking for a new laptop, however I'm on a budget. I was planning to buy a Sony Vaio CR which uses an integrated Intel X3100 video card. Initially I was tempted to buy a 4gb (of ram) version, however I realized that I could save a lot of money by buying a 1 gb version and putting myself 4 gb on it, which is quite simple. However, as far as I know, that video card uses part of the computer's memory, so I wondered if after upgrading it from 1 gb to 4 gb will it "know" and use more ram for graphics?. I'm not sure but if you have 1 gb of ram the video card should use less memory than if it had more, so after upgrading will it automatically work at it's best or will it continue limited? Is the memory used by this card determined by the available ram or will it be limited by the manufacture? Will it's video perform as well as if I had buy it with 4 gigs straight form the manufacturer?

Thanks for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Integrated video card question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Integrated video card question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First will you be upset that Windows will show less than 4GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2007 4:56 AM PST

Most are surprised at this plus they later discover that Windows limits applications to just 2GB so the speed kick they wanted doesn't happen.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your reply.
by 89searinox / November 20, 2007 5:07 AM PST

I know, however I don't work on Windows so that's not a problem in my case. I only use Windows for gaming and that's why I wanted to know if the video card would perform the same if I buy 4 gb from the manufacture or if I install it myself, taking into account that it is an integrated video card.

Thanks,

Daniel

Pd: That's got to be the fastest reply ever, love the Cnet Comunnity!!!

Collapse -
There is also some removed for any 32-bit OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2007 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for your reply.

The Intel architecture may remove from 512MB to a little over 1GB of your 4GB RAM in any of the usual 32 bit OSes. This issue has caused many many (too many) questions of "Where did my RAM go?"

In theory and by rights the machine should be the same whether it comes with or you change the RAM later. However some try to use GENERIC memory sticks and learn more than they ever hoped for.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!