PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Integrated sound card problems

by mc_bob / February 24, 2005 9:38 AM PST

So I bought a new computer and everything worked great. I thought that since it came with a lot of excess software I'd reformat, so I do. I install windows XP Pro Media Edition onto the computer as well as service pack 2. I try the driver cd for the motherboard and it doesn't work (as Intel says on their website).

So I download the drivers myself and get everything working but the sound card. It comes up as a "PCI Device" under device manager in the unknown devices categroy.

I got the drivers straight from Intel but they don't seam to work at all. I even tried manualy configuring this so called "PCI Device" with the drivers but no luck, under sound options everything is still greyed out.

Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Integrated sound card problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Integrated sound card problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What kind of file did you download?
by TONI H / February 24, 2005 9:46 AM PST

Are you able to extract the files to a separate folder or did you just click the file and it ran its own 'setup.exe' type of file?

If you can extract the files, go back to Device Mgr, right click the PCI Device, choose Properties and then click Update Driver........Choose 'a specific location' and then browse to the folder that has the files you extracted and click OK if the button turns black.

If this doesn't work, there is a very good possibility that the PCI Device isn't even a sound device, so then try browsing to the C:\Windows\INF folder (type it in if you can't locate the folder with XP) and try C:\Windows\System32

If this still doesn't work, try right clicking the PCI Device, choose Properties and put a checkmark in 'disable in all hardware'.......then reboot the computer and see if the sound is working. It may be interfering with your audio and that will help you trouble shoot at least until we can help you figure out what the 'device' really is.

TONI

Collapse -
Hmmm
by mc_bob / February 24, 2005 11:09 AM PST

Disabling it did nothing. I already tried 100 times to reinstall the drivers manualy.

I ran the setup file and it installed audio drivers and whatnot to my computer. So I open the Realtek sound manager (it came with the sound drivers) and it aknowledges the driver itself but under audio controller it says N/A, audio codec is blank.

Also, when I try to run other programs in the driver folder it gives me errors like "cannot load driver (rtport.sys)!" or "cannot find SETUPX.DLL".

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Do you have any WDM devices installed?
by TONI H / February 24, 2005 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmm

these would also show up in the Sound,Video area of Device Mgr.

If you don't have any, then the installation wasn't complete, and either you will have to try at the mfr site of your card to see if you can download them separately, or see if there are any WDM type .INF files in the extracted files you already downloaded.

If you have any, then right click that PCI Device, choose Properties, Update Driver, and browse to that particular file inside the folder.

TONI

Collapse -
Nope
by mc_bob / February 25, 2005 2:35 PM PST

I already went to the site and downloaded the drivers and installed them about 100 times with no luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.