PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Integrated graphics card...?

what does that mean, when you have an integrated/motherboard graphics card?

i have an ati xpress200 series card on my compaq sr1630nx computer. i know it does take some memory away from the ram, as i have 702 of 768 mb of ram that is available to windows.

can i upgrade with new graphics card, or am i just stuck with the xpress200?

-- Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Integrated graphics card...?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Integrated graphics card...?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more into...

In reply to: Integrated graphics card...?

i read somewhere that you had to disable the onboard video in the BIOS first before installing new graphics card since i got an IGP card

But it would be great if someone could explain to me how to do that or point me somewhere where i can get that info, if that is what I have to do since i don't want to mess up my computer.

thanks,
mike

Collapse -
intergrated mean the chip/s are solder to the mobo.

In reply to: Integrated graphics card...?

You can upgrade to another card; you can consult the manual as to how to disable the onboard chip. Some are disable automatically when another board is installed, some require changing jumper.

Collapse -
great ... now

In reply to: intergrated mean the chip/s are solder to the mobo.

i heard you need to have right power supply to use new gfx card. how do i know if i got the right power supply? It's the situation where you are trying to run a gfx card requiring 750w, but you have only 300w supply?

Collapse -
well

In reply to: great ... now

No graphics board that I've ever seen requires a 750W power supply, so I'm not sure what you're looking to run there

However you do need to have a power supply capable of providing enough juice to the card, this has been the topic of many many threads on this board which I'm sure you can easily find (not trying to be rude, its just been explained a great many times)

basically what it comes down to:
you want a discrete graphics card
discrete graphics card probably requires 350W+ PSU
your PC probably has 250 or 300W PSU
you need new PSU to support new graphics card

luckily I haven't heard much of Compaq/HP going for proprietary PSUs, so you should be able to just swap out for a new ATX PSU and be in great shape, http://www.xoxide.com/buy-computer-power-supplies.html for some information on PSU shopping (mind you, I would personally rather buy from www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com, but Xoxide does sometimes get lucky with a deal).

Collapse -
re: well

In reply to: well

Yes, i haven't seen a card that uses 750 w. All I meant was, that how do you know if you got high enough power supply to the computer to run the hardware ok?

Collapse -
card's specs

In reply to: re: well

the board's specifications will list a reccomended power supply size, that isn't all the power the board uses, but the reccomended capacity of the system's power supply overall. These ratings rarely take into account rail amperage, which should also be considered.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.