PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Intalling SATA HDD IDE

by hootowl299 / September 27, 2008 3:08 PM PDT

I'm trying to install new HDD with Vista but when it reaches the point to choose where to install windows it's showing 0mb of space available on my HDD. Thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intalling SATA HDD IDE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intalling SATA HDD IDE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Intalling SATA HDD IDE

Let's say the hard disk has some other partition already taking up all the space. Looking over http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallVista/installvista1.htm and starting and steps 9, 10, 11, etc. we see where we can delete the old partition (hope you didn't want what was on that) and start over.

If you have some SATA RAID driver and forgot it during the install that can happen to result in 0 byte size too.
Bob

Collapse -
Brand new hard drive
by hootowl299 / September 27, 2008 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Might be proper.

This is a brand new hard drive. So there shouldn't be anything on it.

Collapse -
That's an assumption.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Brand new hard drive

We know what happens when we assume such things. Look at the steps again. Your post is far too light on details as to what board, SATA port this drive (make, model please of everything) to offer more than the usual.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by hootowl299 / September 27, 2008 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: That's an assumption.

Sorry it was late when I posted and was frustrated. Motherboard is an Asus Maximus Extreme. The Sata drive is built in. Hard drive is a 640G Seagate.

Collapse -
Through a window
by hootowl299 / September 27, 2008 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

I'm about ready to throw this computer through the window. It's been one problem after another since my girlfriend had it built. It fails every other boot. Yesterday when I booted it to get it ready for the hard drive replacement the disc drives wouldn't open. Got those working and now the network card isn't showing up.

Collapse -
Hope you are making progress.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2008 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Through a window

The network item could be related to drivers. And not just the network card driver. Before I install that I install the "motherboard chipset driver package."

Hope this helps,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?