Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Int. Expl. 7

by a-b-x / March 10, 2007 7:45 PM PST

I have Internet Explorer 6.0 on my Windows XP computer and I am skeptical of upgrading to Internet Explorer 7 because I am used to IE 6 and I am not thrilled with undertaking a new learning experience with IE 7 (my understanding is that IE 7 is completely different from IE 6). Is there any way that I could try out IE 7 so that if I don't like it I can delete it and go back to IE 6? Also is there some sort of a web site I could visit to see how to work IE 7? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Int. Expl. 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Int. Expl. 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I-E-7
by Kees Bakker / March 10, 2007 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: Int. Expl. 7

The main differences I see between IE7 and IE6 are:
1. The address bar is above the menubar, not below.
2. There's an integrated search bar.
3. It has tabs (but that's intuitive).
4. Some icons have been moved.
Hardly worth mentioning. I use IE6 at work, IE7 and Firefox at home without any trouble. But I prefer Firefox.

Two other points about IE7:
- There's the one-time setup asking if you want to use the anti-phishing (recommended) and if you want to use an another default search engine in the integrated search bar.
- The 'view partial source' and 'change toolbar background' add-ons from IE5 and IE6 don't work anymore (but the changed toolbar still shows up in Outlook Express 7). If you didn't use them, this is no problem at all.

If you install IE7 and want to go back, just ininstall it in Config Panel>Add/Remove and IE6 will be available again.

Kees

Collapse -
Uninstalling IE7?
by shujaqureshi / March 17, 2007 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: I-E-7

I have the new IE7 on my newbook, now it runs very very slow. It takes forever for IE7 to load. I want to uninstall it and re-install IE6 but I cant find it anywhere. Does anyone have a link to where I can get IE6 and instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall and preferrably how to keep my Favorites in the process?

Thank you in advance.

Collapse -
Did you try what kees said?
by tomron / March 17, 2007 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Uninstalling IE7?

If you install IE7 and want to go back, just uninstall it in Config Panel>Add/Remove and IE6 will be available again.

Did this work?

Tom

Collapse -
IE Favorites?
by shujaqureshi / March 18, 2007 8:58 AM PDT

Will my Favorites be deleted? Dont want to lose them.

Collapse -
sweetpea
by tomron / March 18, 2007 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: IE Favorites?

I don't believe so,but if you want just export them first as a back up.

Have you ever considered Firefox,LINK

Tom

Collapse -
Export Favorites?
by shujaqureshi / March 18, 2007 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: sweetpea

How do you export your favorites? I've done it before, ages ago, but I cant remember how I did. lol

Collapse -
Export Favorites
by shujaqureshi / March 18, 2007 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Export Favorites?

Dont worry, I figured it out ... and I'll check out Firefox Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Sounds good,let us know how it goes
by tomron / March 18, 2007 5:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Export Favorites
Collapse -
favorites
by donkyat / March 5, 2008 12:30 AM PST

Be advised that if you do not remove the SanDisk U-3 device properly from your computer this after using cruzer, you may wind up not being able to use favorites at all. The U-3 has a tendency of removing all favorites from your computer leaving it debunk. Believe me, after messing with it for close to an hour, I was finally able to remove the U-3 from my computer leaving favorites intact.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.