Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

insufficient memory

by falgolreh / October 9, 2005 8:37 AM PDT

I've had my share of problems that I have been able to fix but this latest one is a stumper and its like this
At start up my programms load and just as the desktop
comes up a popup message commes up telling me
I have got insufficient memory to run this application
and to quit one or more applications and try again
I have checked my task master I've got 49 processes
running but no applications
I've also reduced start up programms to the bare minimum
When I click on the message ok it disapears and everything runns fine
Its just at start up that the Computer seems to take for ever to load (I think the system is lokking for somthing and cant find it

I'm Running an Intel P4 2.8 GB with 768 MB mem.
on an 845G Intel 333buss Mother Board
WinXP Pro OS.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: insufficient memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: insufficient memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
this link will help
by Mark5019 / October 9, 2005 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: insufficient memory
Collapse -
insufficient Memmory
by falgolreh / October 9, 2005 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: this link will help

Thanx Mark5019 but I'm already running Spybot,Spyware Doctor'Spy Killer,Armor2Net and Norton AntiVirus 2006
Should I load the other anti Spyware Programms also

Collapse -
2 things
by Merl Priester / October 9, 2005 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: insufficient Memmory

One: Stop Norton or completely uninstall it.
If you want you can put it back later.
(Personally would not let a Symantec Product on my PC)
If you want something other than Norton
Try: http://free.grisoft.com and get AVG 7.0 Free

2: Download ewido
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Only good for 2 week trial but if works very well to clean off spyware. You can uninstall after using it to cleanup.

Collapse -
You need to find out which application
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 8:17 PM PDT
In reply to: insufficient memory

Two things you can do to try and find it;

1] Task Manager

The next time the insufficient Memory window pops up, don't click OK or cancel, but right click the Taskbar and select Task Manager. Look under both Applications and Processes for anything that changes when you OK out of the warning window.

2] Event Viewer.

Once loaded up normally, goto Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc", (without the quotes), click OK.

In the Event Viewer dialogue click Applications and see if there are any error or warnings listed in the right pane. Highlight each one and right click, select Properties for more information.

If nothing shows up under Applications, try System.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
Warning Message in Application
by falgolreh / October 10, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

Thanx Mark
I ran eventviewer and came up with
Detection of product
'(90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9)
featur ProductNonBootFiles' failed during request for component '(22056900-C842-11D1A0DD-00A0C9054277)'
I donot have any idea what that is what Product or Files this refers to

Collapse -
Event ID
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 4:20 AM PDT

Hi Falgolreh,

Was there an Event ID associated with this entry? It appears to be a Microsoft error report but Google doesn't give much away. But what I saw seems to refer to Windows 2000, which is strange.

Also, can you give the full description of the error report you are getting?

you say you have reduced startup applications, but what applications are still attempting to load on Startup? (Start > Run, type in msconfig then the Startup tab, if you don't already know).

You may have to begin de-selecting these programs one at a time from the Startup list to find the one where the error disappears on reboot, a process of elimination.

Mark

Collapse -
Have done but....
by falgolreh / October 10, 2005 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Event ID

Have taken out some of the applications I know I
dont need to load at startup
After reboot I get a message to change back what I changed
I'm also a little leary to get to radical for fear of doing some serious damage

Collapse -
Sorry for the delay
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 9:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Have done but....

My apologies Falgolreh.

When you make changes to msconfig's startup, then click Apply, you will be warned that the changes will not take effect until the next time the computer is started.

Then, when you restart the computer, you will get an ''information'' message that you have chosen ''Selective start''.

The message is just that, information, but would appear everytime you boot up until you return startup to the way it was. But you can suppress that message within the window itself. Then it will not display until the next time you make a change.

Don't worry about this. what you are doing is temporarily removing a program's ability to load on startup. Many programs attempt to load on startup when they are not really necessary. Real Player, Quicktime, ICQ (Instant Messenger), are just a few. But there is no need. If you want to use those programs, just find them in the start menu.

However, some of the programs are necessary at startup, your firewall, or anti-virus for example. It is ok to disable those, to check if any are causing your problem, temporarily. But I would take extra precautions.

If you are going to disable your firewall from loading, turn on XP's firewall first, or, when the computer is shut down, disconnect it from the internet before re-starting it. If you're on a dialup ISP connection it doesn't matter, (until you dial up the connection), but with broadband, you are ''always on'' as soon as your computer starts. Remember to re-enable your firewall in the startup list when your test is done, and if you have enabled the XP's firewall, turn it off when your own firewall is up and running again.

If you are going to disable your anti-virus, do not surf the internet, or download any files until you re-set it for loading at startup.

So, nothing too much to worry about when doing a selective startup test. Just use your common sense.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Just for info ... Mark...
by Merl Priester / October 10, 2005 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Event ID

On my previous post the beginning part of the link to AVG free was removed. Is this because Grisoft doesn't want any links to the free page?

If so I won't post that link anymore, just the main page.

Thanks,
Merl

Collapse -
AVG web site link
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 9:08 PM PDT

Hi Merl,

No, it's not Grisoft, and its not you. The Forum coding doesn't allow html links that have the word "free" in them.

I would still continue to include the link because finding AVG Free from Grisoft's web site has become a bit of a nightmare since they went all corporate.

But just put a space between certain words and include an explanation. I do it like this;

from http:// free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

(you will need to copy and paste into your browser address bar, then remove the space between http:// and free, as forum policies do not allow the word "free" inside clickable links).

Hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Got it... Thanks
by Merl Priester / October 11, 2005 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG web site link
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.