Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

installling sata and pata in the same system

by pscraja / April 7, 2006 10:35 AM PDT

I am going to build a system with intel p4 2.66ghz processor with d101ggc motherboard. Mother board has both sata and ide drive slots.

My query is:

If I instal my sata drive as well as my existing pata drive, how do I set the jumpers in the hard drive. I know there is no jumper setting for sata drive. Hence I have the option of setting the pata drive as slave or have no jumper settings in the pata drive.

If I set the pata drive as master how will the sata drive be recognised as?

pscraja

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installling sata and pata in the same system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installling sata and pata in the same system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Doesn't matter
by joesmithers06 / April 7, 2006 10:43 AM PDT

The master/slave configuration is for the individual controllers, so the jumper settings for the IDE controller drives doesn't have any bearing at all on the SATA drives. Just set the IDE drive to master and be done with it.

The one thing to note, is that Windows requires a SATA driver disk during setup if you want to be able to install Windows onto an SATA drive. If you're installing on the IDE drive, never mind.

Collapse -
SATA and IDE on same system
by billzhills / April 8, 2006 3:43 AM PDT

pscraja

Jumper settings for the IDE H/D differ with each Mnf. Look on the top of the drive for these settings. This drive should be set at cable select or Master on the primary IDE slot.

The BIOS will determine the primary boot device. (You will have to look at your M/Bs manual to know how to set this.) Installing Windows on the primary boot drive makes/forces the other drive as a slave.

I am seeing a few members post that drivers are needed for Sata drives.... Sorry, this is not true. Sata/Pata drives use the same basic controller, only the cables and data flow have changed. The largest issue I have faced with the Sata drives is in the BIOS settings. Sometimes the M/B manuals do not clearly state the correct procedures. You do need drives for RAID on install.

Luck

Bill

Collapse -
For an SATA INSTALL, they are
by joesmithers06 / April 8, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

I think you didn't quite read my post carefully enough. I said if you wanted to install XP onto an SATA drive, you need a driver disk, which is usually supplied with the motherboard. Otherwise, the XP setup program doesn't know how to find SATA drives, since it's a new technology from the time XP came out. Vista will almost certainly be able to install onto SATA drives unimpeded in any way.

Collapse -
Drivers Sata + XP
by billzhills / April 8, 2006 5:10 AM PDT

Joe,

I did read your post ......
No offense here... nor was I pointing fingers. Happy

How does SATA handle backward compatibility issues?
SATA supports legacy drivers for Parallel ATA. OEMs can deploy SATA today using existing parallel ATA drivers. Several vendors currently supply bridges for parallel-to-serial conversion for legacy devices.

When does Microsoft plan to support SATA in its operating systems?
SATA is software compatible with Parallel ATA and requires no changes to Microsoft operating systems, or any other OS for that matter.

Both on the same page about under the heading "Desktops, Mobile PCs, and Consumer Electronics".

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.