Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installled 2nd mem module..getting crash and bugcheck msg

System...MB Asus p5nd2 sli, Vid Card Asus 7600 gs silent, pentium D 805, 2x1024 ocz ddr2 sdram 667 (5400) cas 5-5-5-15, onboard sound, acer al1916w

Just installed the 2nd memory module, in the corresponding yellow slot..the 2 black slots are empty. The PC now shuts off every 30 mins or so and I get a bugcheck message in the eventlog. System worked fine before the install, was told to get the 2nd module for optimum use of the dual core. Any help would be much appreciated and please let me know if you need more system info.

Thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installled 2nd mem module..getting crash and bugcheck msg
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installled 2nd mem module..getting crash and bugcheck msg
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Does it work when it's removed?

In reply to: Installled 2nd mem module..getting crash and bugcheck msg

Collapse -
Works when removed

In reply to: (NT) Does it work when it's removed?

Took it out and booted the Pc back up. When it came back up it sent error reports to Microsoft, one was "error caused by a device driver" and the second was "error caused by a problem in random access memory: run windows tool" haven't run the windows tool. So far so good on removing the module and running the pc. Are you thinking defective module?

Collapse -
This means a few things. A list of possibles.

In reply to: Works when removed

1. The memory chip is incompatible with your system.
2. The chip is bad.
3. The system needs a bios update to support the chip.
4. The bios settings are incorrect for using that chip.
5. The OS in use doesn't allow this much memory. Windows 95, 98, ME had issues past 512M.
6. The systems power supply or motherboard power supply can't handle more parts.
7. The extra heat either by added part or change of airflow around the area of the chip caused an issue.

I only have why information you supplied to work with so it's just a partial list of what could have happened.

Bob

Collapse -
Narrowing the List..I hope :)

In reply to: This means a few things. A list of possibles.

Replies to each:

1. It is identical to the original chip, which has worked fine up until the 2nd was installed.
2. Could be..Hope to get to the point I can tell
3. Is updating the BIOS standard procedure for adding an identical chip? I'm asking cause I really don't know.
4. Do I have to update the settings for adding a new chip each time?
5. Using Windows xp home, SP2
6. 350 watt antec 2.0 sli power supply
7. CPU temp monitor reads at the same temps as before the install.

If there is any other system info you need please let me know. I am leaving for work right now but will check in on any further help you may have. Thank you very much for you help, it is very much appreciated.

Collapse -
Yes. I've had to do BIOS udpates in such cases.

In reply to: Narrowing the List..I hope :)

But that still leaves some of the list suspect but it is a known problem area. Did you check for a bios update? I can't do this for you since no make/model is listed.

1. It is identical to the original chip, which has worked fine up until the 2nd was installed.
2. Could be..Hope to get to the point I can tell
3. Is updating the BIOS standard procedure for adding an identical chip? I'm asking cause I really don't know.

Only when a problem shows up.

4. Do I have to update the settings for adding a new chip each time?

Not usually.

5. Using Windows xp home, SP2
6. 350 watt antec 2.0 sli power supply

That's an OK supply but without a complete parts list I can't comment if it's enough.

7. CPU temp monitor reads at the same temps as before the install.

If the machine works cold then hiccups later then that's a clue that heat in other parts is an issue. Since other than the CPU is also subject to getting too warm, measuring the CPU is fine but not enough. I make a test run with the cover off when I suspect heat. So far I don't see a clear sign if heat or power is the issue.

All that I can tell is that your new stick is not compatible with your system. It does not matter it's the same as the other. Some systems have limits that we only find out when we dive deep into the motherboard specs. Since details are scarce, such can't be done.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.