Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing XP on 98SE System

by d-riemer / September 17, 2004 12:42 AM PDT

I have installed a second hard drive with two 60 Gb sections on my 98SE system and would like to use the new HD to install XP. I understand that, after such installation, it is possible to run either 98SE or XP, choosing one or the other during booting. Does anybody have experience with this approach? Can the upgrade version of XP do the job or is the OEM version required? Is the parallel operation of 98SE and XP recommended as a slow transfer method from one system to the other?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing XP on 98SE System
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing XP on 98SE System
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Installing XP on 98SE System
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 12:50 AM PDT

Just my comments.

Yes. The upgrade CD should allow you to put XP on the second hard disk.

No. I don't reccomend this as a transition stategy because... No supported method exists to remove the Windows 98 from the boot position and moving the now finely tuned XP install you worked for a year on to the boot and C: drive.

Bob

Collapse -
by kjleitch / September 17, 2004 7:08 AM PDT

Yes you can do this you must choose custom install and tell the system to install to the drive and directory of you choice. For example when prompted in the win Xp mode (you must install winxp after win98) tell winxp to install to which ever drive you want to install it on but! "do not install to directory windows" instead use a different folder name such as Win_Xp or New Win or what ever name you choose. That way you can distinguish between the two OS's and be sure that you choose the "Fat32 file system install" you cannot use fat32 and ntfs systems they are incompatible. Windows 98 uses fat32 and Winxp usually defaults to ntfs but you can tell it you use the existing files system fat32 when installing winxp. Oh and you have to install winxp from the win98 shell.

Collapse -
Using NTFS just fine here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 7:10 AM PDT

I'm wondering why the direction to use FAT32. it's only indicated if the owner wants access to the XP partition from Windows 98. Otherwise it works fine.

I also didn't have to install XP from the 98 shell.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Thanks for the help!
by d-riemer / October 2, 2004 4:06 AM PDT

Thank you, Bob and kjleitch, for the great information. I understand that it would be better to transfer completely to XP but I get many warnings when using the Microsoft XP installation test program. I am afraid that I will have problems obtaining drivers for my older equipment. I will try the dual-OS approach and follow your advice carefully. Thanks again,
Dietrich

Collapse -
Re: Thanks for the help!
by biba34 / October 2, 2004 1:02 PM PDT

I have a similiar problem as Dietrich had except I am using Win2000PRO for my OPS, with my HD running low on space. I want to add a second HD and also install XP on the new HD. Is it possible to install the new HD as a 2nd HD and then Install XP on it? I really wanted my new larger HD to be the C drive, but understand that the Win2000Pro cannot be upgraded to XP without first Re-formatting the C drive and loseing everything in the process. Thanks for any input on this prob, Bill

Collapse -
by d-riemer / October 13, 2004 12:58 AM PDT

I have tried to install XP Professional as new OS (no upgrade) for use in a dual-OS approach (goal: have the choice of either using 98SE or XP). I defined a newly created folder Win_XP for the installation files and specified that I want to select the partition to be used for installation. Setup takes a few minutes to transfer files and the system restarts. Then the process gets to a window that states:
"Unknown disk (setup cannot access this disk) 43097 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on
{highlighted} C: Partition 1 [FAT 32] 43096 M (26202 MB free)
Setup Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER
To create partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
To delete the selected partition, press D"
I have a second 120 MB HD installed with two 60 MB partitions that I wanted to use for the installation but setup does not show that HD as an option.
When I check the folder Win_XP after the installation attempt, it is empty. What am I doing wrong?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2004 1:24 AM PDT

" have a second 120 MB HD installed with two 60 MB partitions that I wanted to use for the installation but setup does not show that HD as an option. "

XP may not like partitions you create with other tools. Did you create these with XP?

Bob

Collapse -
by d-riemer / October 13, 2004 1:49 AM PDT

"XP may not like partitions you create with other tools. Did you create these with XP?"

The second HD is a 120 MB Western Digital that was partitioned in two 60MB sections using the WD "Data Lifeguard" software. Both HDs are listed under the Primary ATA Controller, the C-drive under subcontroller "IBM-DTLA-307045", the D- and E-drive under subcontroller "WDCWD1200JB-00FUAO".
The installation of the WD HD was successfully executed several weeks ago within the 98SE operating system.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That explains it...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2004 1:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
by d-riemer / October 13, 2004 2:07 AM PDT

I should have mentioned that the WD HD is set up as Primary Slave "for additional storage". "Data Lifeguard" allows the following change for the HD: "Add the drive as the new boot device", however I don't know what that means. I still want to boot from drive C with 98SE. Do they mean "as a new boot device"? Would this change possibly allow XP-setup to see the drive?

Collapse -
That's one of the issues about those programs..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2004 2:15 AM PDT

Data lifeguard, ezdrive and others prepare the drive in odd ways that may not be compatible with XP...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: That's one of the issues about those programs..
by putergoddess / November 4, 2004 9:16 PM PST

I read the entire trail of messages about 98SE and XP co-existing on a dual-boot system. I did that, only on one HD with 2 partitions. A couple years later when I decided to build another machine and use the old one strictly for 98SE, I couldn't recover the partition that had XP on it. It shows up ok in Fdisk..but I can't format it or delete the existing partition using a 98SE boot disk.
I managed to format the 98SE part. but lost the 1/2 of the HD that has XP on it!
I tried everything..including using the floppy that came with the HD ( Western Digital). It won't read that parition because I allowed XP to format it to NT.
Now the whole HD is toast because it can't boot because 98SE isn't there on the main drive anymore..and XP is hogging up the second partition and won't boot.
Basically..it's a heavy paperweight.
I will Never use XP again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?