Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing XP CHKDSK /F ?

by myrrdex / February 7, 2009 4:26 PM PST

Hi,

I am trying to install windows XP on my new computer. Specs Here - > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103189

Brand Acer
Series Aspire
Model AM3641-ED7200A
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E7200(2.53GHz)
Processor Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
Cache Per Processor 3MB L2 Cache
Memory 4GB DDR2
Hard Drive 500GB SATA

Sadly, I am not getting very far. When XP starts installing it starts making its first checks and then the Blue Screen comes up ! Oh No! It says this:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF78d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x0000000)

Not sure what all of this means, but how can I run CHKDSK if I can't even boot up? What else can I do?

Any help is appreciated. Would really like to use my new computer Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing XP CHKDSK /F ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing XP CHKDSK /F ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SATA drives
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 7, 2009 7:26 PM PST

I'm not an expert here, but XP does not know how to install drivers for the SATA controller, and the drivers are not held on the XP installation CD. At some stage in the installation sequence you need to insert a floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it and install from there.

This is the guidance I found on Google when I searched for XP how to install SATA drivers;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SATA controller driver

Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you will have to make one. The SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders.

BIOS settings

When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver

Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter.

With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited

Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope that helps.

If not, perhaps others here will have better ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
Here's more info on what drivers you need
by Slikkster / February 7, 2009 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: SATA drives

Mark is exactly right: You need SATA (Serial ATA Hard Drive drivers) that are NOT on the XP install disk. Dilemma: XP install disk wants you to press F6 when you have the drivers ready, but it wants to find them on a floppy drive! Your pc doesn't come with a floppy drive.

So, what to do? You need to "slipstream" your XP Install Disk with your SATA drivers. Actually, while you're at it, you should slipstream ALL of your motherboard chipset drivers, so Windows will install them correctly without possibly running into errors without having them at install time.

Of course, you need the correct drivers. Your computer natively comes with Vista, so you need to get the motherboard drivers that work with XP. I'm assuming you are using XP 32-bit? XP 64-bit would better utilize the 4 Gigs of Ram this pc comes with, but that's another story. I'm going on the assumption for this post that you are using the regular 32-bit XP. (If you are using 64-bit XP, you will need different drivers!)

Ok, a little investigation shows your Acer computer has the Nvidia Nforce 630i chipset. So, you need the Nvidia Nforce 630i chipset driver package for 32-bit XP. Get them here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_winxp_15.24.html

(You will need to check the box that says "I have read and agree..." before you can download).

The download will be an executable file. If you doubleclick on it, it will ask you where you want to save the extracted files, and once you click on a path, it will extract the files and then it will start up the installation process. Obviously you do NOT want the installation to begin on the computer you downloaded the driver package to! So, if you choose this way to extract the files, just cancel out of the Nvidia blue/green install screen when it comes up to start the installation, and you'll just be left with the files you've extracted. By default, by the way, they will extract to:

C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2k\15.24\IS

unless you point them elsewhere. Note that there are other ways of extracting the files, like Winzip, for example. But if you use Winzip, make sure you just right-click on the file name (which will be named "15.24_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe" and choose the Extract to folder c:\(wherever you downloaded it)\15.24_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe. This way it will keep all the sub-folders intact, instead of having a big mishmosh of files with the same names.

Ok, now you are going to need a slipstreaming application (free) called "nLite".

Rather than me telling you how to use nLite, follow the tutorial here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/resolving-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/

Differences from the tutorial and your situation:

When prompted to insert drivers, choose the "Multiple Driver Folder", and then point the insert screen to the folder where you extracted the Nvidia chipset drivers. Point it to the MAIN extract folder, not individual sub-folders. It will find all the sub-folders.

It will tell you that two of the drivers need to be TEXT-BASED instead of PNP-based. That's fine. Just accept it and continue. Then, you'll see that it will be slipstreaming (including all the drivers) to your new XP install disc that will be created.

Now, while we're slipstreaming, if your current XP disc isn't already Service Pack 3, you might as well slipstream that, too, so there will be fewer updates from MS to install afterward. So, if that's the case, download the SP3 file from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

Point nLite to the location on your hard drive where you downloaded SP3 by clicking on the Service Pack button of nLite.

Ok, now you can choose the Create Bootable ISO and/or just have it burn the CD without saving an ISO for you.

Note: disregard the part of the tutorial on the bottom about finding XP drivers; we've already found them. Disregard the part about Intel drivers; yours are Nvidia. Remember to choose the Multiple Driver Folder option.

Also, once you've installed XP with your new CD, you can then install the latest Nvidia Video drivers for your PC. Do this AFTER XP has been fully installed:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_181.22_whql.html

You should be good to go.

Collapse -
One more note for clarification
by Slikkster / February 7, 2009 10:29 PM PST

Since you will be slipstreaming the drivers onto the new CD, you will NOT need to do anything at the F6 prompt at installation time. Just ignore that and let XP install normally.

Collapse -
Same problem with me
by xrooles / April 26, 2009 7:29 PM PDT

But I am having a Dell optiplex 760 with a WD3200AAKS (WD blue caviar) disk? Any ideas which drivers do I need to include with nlite

Collapse -
solved
by xrooles / April 26, 2009 7:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem with me

solved it.. !!
included chipset drivers from dell.com website..
thanks a lot .. for the instructions

Collapse -
Thanks
by myrrdex / February 8, 2009 4:17 AM PST

AWESOME, thanks! I'm going to do this and report back! You guys are great.

Collapse -
Almost there..
by pktboy / September 3, 2009 9:58 PM PDT

I am so thankful that this thread exists, it has helped me so much.

I was in the same situation as the original poster; I have recently purchased a computer built for Windows Vista.. I am not fond of this operating system and would prefer Windows XP as my O/S. I have an Acer Aspire X1700 with similar specs to that of the original poster. I ran into the same problem as him too.

Slikkster, your advice and suggestions worked wonders.. It was somewhat time-consuming to put it all together, but in the end I was able to slipstream drivers onto my Windows XP install CD and get it all installed.

Just as a note (if anyone else finds this resource), on my original attempt I spent some time fiddling with nLite and all its little settings, tweaks, removals, etc.. during that installation attempt I was faced with a Fatal Error because of a missing file (whoops).. I started over and chose not to remove anything, but then needed to use a DVD as the install was too large for one CD.

Also, while I also have an nVidia chipset (I'm quite sure its the same as the 630i you pointed to).. the drivers which I downloaded from the URL you provided did not seem to work - ******! But, I logged onto the official Acer website and was able to find a large list of drivers - lucky for me I was able to choose Windows XP Professional 32bit as my Operation System which gave me different versions (I think)..

With this new set of drivers, I was able to run the installation successfully from start to finish..

By the way, for no real good reason I chose to split my main Vista partition to make room for XP, I am of the understanding the XP installation will over-write the boot record thingy so it will load without a problem - not sure if this is a catalyst for my new issue - I did this partly because I'm lazy, partly because it was easier, and partly because I'm not sure if there was ever a time I'd want to go the extra mile for the ability to dual-boot the two O/S's (although unlikely).

As soon as Windows XP begins loading with the Graphical screen.. when it fades in... just before its faded in (it only shows for about 500ms) I get a blue screen, and an immediate restart. Unfortunately the blue screen doesn't hang around long enough for me to read any of the words.. but it looks very similar to the original error message I was getting, leading me to believe XP is still having problems with the SATA hard drive.

During the installation I didn't need to press F6 to install any 3rd party drivers as you said.

Is anyone able to suggest why this is happening, and hopefully how to overcome it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!
Joel (... does not like Vista)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?