Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing XP again...

by Saltrams / July 6, 2005 12:46 AM PDT

Could someone point me towards the walkthrough instructions for having XP installed twice, once on each of two hard drives so I can choose which one to boot at startup? I know I should be able to find it by searching but....I can't!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing XP again...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing XP again...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the second...
by jackintucson / July 6, 2005 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Installing XP again...

drive empty?.. if it is, make it the C: drive. don't even hook up the original drive. Treat the second install as a new install. Once this is acieved, re-install the original as the C: drive, re-install the second drive as the d:. Go into setup and change boot device priorities. However, setup may not allow boot from two harddrives. I am assuming you want the second OS in case the first fails for some reason. If your BIOS won't set to second harddrive as bootable, you'll have to change cabling again to put second OS as primary <master>.

Is this what you are talking about??

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Yes, the second drive will be empty.
by Saltrams / July 6, 2005 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Is the second...

I'm not actually doing it as a backup like you describe though. What I want is to get the same option on booting up as I used to get when I had Win98 on one drive and XP on another, a message would ask which OS I wanted & had a countdown default to XP. Can I get the same option to choose between "XP on C: or XP on E:"? Both HDDs are formatted to use NTFS & I would do as you say & disconnect C: totally & do a clean installation on E: (D: is a partition on the same physical drive as C: by the way). I assume I make the E: partition active & install XP as usual? I want to end up with the choice of my current setup or a new, faster, uncluttered registry and few programmes & no Internet connectivity. I will play games using the E: setup.

Collapse -
Do this...
by jackintucson / July 7, 2005 3:32 AM PDT

Click on <start> -> <help and support>. When the page loads, type <dual operating system> in the search bar. This should tell you what you want to know. Let me know, OK?

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Like mine
by phantazy / July 7, 2005 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Do this...

I have XP Pro on two disks. I seem to remember that when you install from OEM cd it asks which drive you wish to install upon. When you've done the installation, which is now x 2, go into BIOS and set the preferred disk as master. Make sure it's jumpered as master too. When it boots, edit the 'Boot.ini' file to be like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=''Microsoft Windows XP Professional'' /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=''Microsoft Windows XP Professional'' /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT=''Microsoft Windows Recovery Console'' /cmdcons

save it and you will have a choice of three. Recovery console is optional.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.