Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing WinXP to multiple partitions?

OK, pardon my slight illiteracy in this department, but I am possibly wanting to install XP to boot separately on two different partitions. But first, I am also wanting to create C: as a dummy/decoy partition for security reasons(just one more little thing I heard you could do to thwart, if even a small number of, possible attacks). Then I was creating multiple partions as follows(100 GB drive):

D: as a 15GB NTFS drive for general, everyday programs and apps (internet, email, office, etc.)

E: as a 25GB FAT32 partition for audio recording and production software (pro tools le, with plug-ins and other sampler/sequencer software)

F: as a 20GB NTFS partition for media file storage (mp3, jpeg, mpeg, etc.)

G: as a 20GB FAT32 partition for backup Norton Ghost images

H: as a 4GB NTFS partition for downloads, drivers, backup files, blah, blah...

My problem is (in addition to my relative ignorance and inexperience doing such things)that when I go through the XP installation process, I'm given no option to choose drive D: as my system drive. It automatically designates C: as the system drive even thought I install XP on D: and E:. I know this sounds like a big mess, but does anybody remotely follow what I'm trying to do? I'm not even sure what the difference between a system drive and a boot drive is. Thanks for any advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing WinXP to multiple partitions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing WinXP to multiple partitions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
can only have 4 partitions on hdd

In reply to: Installing WinXP to multiple partitions?

can only have 4 partitions on hdd xp will make c as primary

Collapse -
Not true

In reply to: can only have 4 partitions on hdd

You can have as many partitions as you have space for. You can only have four primary partitions or three primary and one extended partition, but you can have as many logical partitions as you want inside an extended partition.

Collapse -
Two thoughts but one I'm not sure of

Are you wanting to use the same installation CD and use the same product ID code for all installations? I'm not sure XP will allow that even though it's all on the same PC. Someone here may have tried that but I must think you could encounter problems with the EULA. Next, XP wants to do it's own partitioning and formatting. Things can go rough if you try to do this in advance. There are also different types of partitions such as primary and extended. Primary partitions can contain operating systems and boot from them. Extended partitions are part of a primary partition and can be used as logical drives. During the installation process, XP will look for other valid partitions. It will designate drive letters for any that it finds and will start with C: If no partition is found (and this could even be some removable drives), it will claim the C: designation. You will be able to change drive letters for other partitions later but XP will not willingly give up the claim to the boot partition. I believe this is good information but others here may have more to offer.

Collapse -
Is it necessary to multi-boot?

In reply to: Two thoughts but one I'm not sure of

So, maybe I'll scrap the decoy C drive idea. It sounded like a smart idea in theory. Oh well.

Is it necessary, or advantageous, to install XP as a separate OS on two different drives if I am using one drive for general computing needs (internet, email, work processing, etc.)and another for audio recording/production? Note: I will be formatting the general partition in NTFS and the recording/production drive in FAT32.

Also, how do you set up separate log-in accounts with limited access to drives, folder, and files? Thanks.

Collapse -
Separate accounts

In reply to: Is it necessary to multi-boot?

It's as simple as creating the user designating the account as limited. I would offer one suggestion, however. First make the user an administrator if you are going to install any software that user should have access to. After all software is installed, go back and change the account to limited. This sometimes helps eliminate a few problems down the road with denial of access to some applications. Next, how you set up permissions will depend on whether your version of XP is Pro or Home. If you intend to do such, Pro is the best choice. Turning off "simple file sharing" is a big help. You can click on individual drives and find the security options under "properties". You can add or remove users and tailor their access levels from there. You can also set some parent/child inheritance rules but I won't get into that here.

Collapse -
Partitioning hard drive

XP's product activation will prevent you from Installing the o/s twice unless you purchase extra licenses.

Your partitioning scheme has merit. But you may be placing yourself in a box. If you fill a partitiion then what do you do?

On my systems Windows and all applications are given 20 to 30 gigs of the drive, the balance of the drive is for data and files. You can create directories (root folder) for each of your proposed partitions.

This is a hold over from my Win98 days when I was learning what not to do. Doesn't take away from backing up the system, I just didn't have to migrate all the data off the drive when Win98 was re-installed

Windows will install to Drive "C" unless you are creating a dual boot system. This is hard-wired into the architecture of computers and cannot be changed.

As a last note...

Create your Primary partition on install. The balance of the drive can be partitioned in windows.

Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.