HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing WindowsXP on a laptop with NO cd dvd usb!

by thebug / September 6, 2008 5:28 AM PDT

I work on computers in my spare time and had one of my freinds ask me to install XP on his laptop that had no cd dvd usb to work with. I said sure. Took me about 2hrs and it works great, except still no cd dvd usb
Yes it's an older laptop , P111
Anybody know how I did it?

Just a little question!

Thanks ;
thebug

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing WindowsXP on a laptop with NO cd dvd usb!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing WindowsXP on a laptop with NO cd dvd usb!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While a nice bit of trivia
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 5:29 AM PDT

It's on the internet for all to figure out. But ask yourself how would you fix something later. Is this a machine you would foist on today's owners?
Bob

Collapse -
Well
by thebug / September 6, 2008 10:49 AM PDT

He's getting a dvd drive! And what is foist on today's owners?

Collapse -
It's an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

I can't count how many times someone gave an far out install to someone and later the machine had an issue and they couldn't repeat the install or correct a minor issue. Look at all the machines going out today without a way to do what used to be minor repairs. The owners often can only wipe out and reinstall. In this case they can't do that (yet.)

Collapse -
Not hard to fix
by thebug / September 6, 2008 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: It's an issue.

I just install the laptop drive in my pc , fix the issue and put it back in the laptop, but don't have to do that as he has a dvd now.

Collapse -
Notice they can't fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Not hard to fix

Only you can do that. Are they equipped and ready? Not yet.

Let's try and make less trouble for owners.

Collapse -
Oh
by thebug / September 6, 2008 10:50 AM PDT

Not my machine! I only do what my customers want done!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.