Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Installing windows xp, sata drivers

by Aruel1 / October 16, 2014 10:17 PM PDT

Hello there,
I am trying to install Windows xp home edition, with sp 2 on new hard drive, as current is about to fail soon, but when I try to run windows xp install disc, after it is done with loading data there is that: "Setup Is Starting Windows XP" message, and shortly flashing "-" appear in upper left corner of the screen.

I read about this issue, and tried to slipstream drivers using usb flashdisc made with nlite + rufus.

But it seems that I fail to slipstream correct drivers, and I am running mad looking for them in internet...
-can't find them on intel website
-can't find them on toshiba website

My computer is:
Toshiba satellite l500-1ef
and I am looking for:
Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 292D
and
Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2928
drivers

Maybe I am looking for a wrong drivers, or in wrong way.

I will be thankfull for any help on this topic, maybe you too know how it is frustrating to know the issue and could not resolve it.

Aruel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing windows xp, sata drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing windows xp, sata drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: installing XP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 16, 2014 11:00 PM PDT

I doubt if this related to SATA drivers. it should ask for them (diskette and f6).

Anyway, just use the recovery disks that came with the laptop or that you made. If there is no hardware issue, those will work.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Best to get the laptop's restore media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2014 1:34 AM PDT

As you will learn the F6 method is hard even for experts. To work around this, see if the BIOS has any IDE Emulation or other modes for the SATA ports.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
tell us about the new hard drive
by James Denison / October 17, 2014 7:49 AM PDT

Size and type of Partition formatting if any, such as GPT disk, or Hybrid, etc.

Collapse -
new hard drive
by Aruel1 / October 21, 2014 6:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Much simpler.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 21, 2014 6:45 PM PDT
In reply to: new hard drive

Just clone the old SATA drive to the new one. No need to install Windows then.
Or is the old one an IDE-drive (unlikely to install an IDE-drive on a motherboard that supports SATA)?

Kees

Collapse -
hard drive is
by Aruel1 / October 21, 2014 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Much simpler.
Collapse -
Re: clone
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 21, 2014 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: hard drive is

You need two things:
1. A computer with both drives connected, either directly on the motherboard or in a USB-enclosure.
2. A cloning program like Acronis True Image (paid) or Clonezilla (free, open source).

Kees

Collapse -
Advanced Format
by James Denison / October 21, 2014 8:46 PM PDT
In reply to: hard drive is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148906

Seagate SmartAlign technology for easy 4K migration A change is coming to the hard drive industry. The smallest sector of organized data on a drive is moving from 512 to 4,096 bytes. The new format, known as Advanced Format (AF) 4K, offers advantages like increased efficiency, but migrating your drive can be challenging. Luckily, Seagate is ready to help you make a seamless transition to 4K sectors. Momentus Thin hard drives feature Seagate SmartAlign technology, which automatically does the work of AF migration in the background. The drive's performance is not affected, and there is no need for time-consuming utilities required by other AF-enabled drives.

Smooth Migration to Advanced Format 4K

Laptop Thin HDDs include Seagate SmartAlign technology . This innovation helps you easily get all the benefits of the new Advanced Format 4K sector standard—no utilities, no extra steps. AF drive migration happens automatically in the background. The drive's performance is not affected, and there is no need for time-consuming utilities required by other AF-enabled drives.

1 Seagate SmartAlign technology may not be available on all models. Please refer to the data sheets the SPECS tab.

http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/docs/installation/sata/internal-drive-installion-guide-en-us-ig.pdf

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/downloads/discwizard/DiscWizardSetup-16005840.en.exe

========================
Your best bet is to use the Seagate cloning software called Disk Wizard that should have come on a DVD or CD with the drive, or can be downloaded from their internet site.

Clone your Windows boot drive to your new drive
Boot into Windows 8/7/Vista or XP.
Install the DiscWizard software.
Choose the Clone Disc option and select next.

Click Automatic (default) and choose Next.
Highlight your source drive and click Next.
Choose your destination and select Next.
Review the layout and select Next.
Proceed with reboot.
Upon reboot, the clone procedure starts copying your data. Follow the on-screen instructions
and shut down your system after the copy.
Windows Vista users need to be ready with the Vista OS disk for security authentication.
IMPORTANT
: After your system shuts down, physically disconnect the power and data
cables from your source boot drive and power the system back on. Upon restart, your system
will boot to your new replacement drive.
Make your new drive the startup drive
Note:
The system will try to default boot to your original boot drive after cloning. You may need to
change the boot sequence in your system BIOS if you plan on re-connecting your old drive
after cloning.
Let your cloned drive boot into Windows and make sure all of your files have copied properly.
Restart your computer and enter the System Setup BIOS by pressing the ESC, DEL, or F2
key during startup.
In the system setup, change the boot sequence to boot from your new SATA drive. If you
have an add-in SATA card, the boot priority may need to change to boot SCSI or external
first. You may need to refer to your system documentation.
Collapse -
It seems that this is best solution
by Aruel1 / October 21, 2014 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Advanced Format

Thank you, I need to buy cable usb-sata firstly, and I will try to proceed with your advice then.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?