General discussion

Installing Windows XP on SATA Harddrive

I have a new motherboard model MSI 770-G45 (it's 2010 model). I also have a SATA hard drive. I want to install Windows XP on the SATA harddrive. The SATA HDD is detected by the motherboard bios. I heard to install Windows XP on SATA you need a Floppy Disk drive and press F6. But I don't have any Floppy Drive (the power supply does not have the connector).

Will Windows XP detect my SATA hard drive?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Installing Windows XP on SATA Harddrive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Installing Windows XP on SATA Harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No.

This is an issue that has been discussed many times. Try the IDE EMULATION in the bios and hope.

Otherwise get a power supply adapter and install a floppy drive.
Or install a current OS.
Bob

- Collapse -
No I don't think XP will detect it

- You can get an external floppy drive and use that to install XP on the SATA Hard drive

- Get a newer operating system.

- Collapse -
NEW Operating system

I just bought Win XP Professional with Service Pack 3. This must be the newest XP.

Will it work?

- Collapse -
That's a different question.

You need to be clear what guidance you need.

Windows XP is an old OS now, so that 'new' XP will not be new, but it may be an unused XP Setup CD. If it is XP Professional with SP3 then it has the newest Service Pack, but there will still be updates required when it is installed and working.

Will it work? How can we say? The only way to see is to try and install it. But heed the advice already given, XP does not natively recognise SATA hard drives, so it needs help there. More often than not that help is via SATA drivers on a floppy disk, installed during the setup procedure.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info