Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Installing windows XP for dual boot on my laptop

by ade2007 / November 29, 2009 6:37 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing windows XP for dual boot on my laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing windows XP for dual boot on my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 3:07 AM PST

After watching too many failures I have to answer no. Here's why. Since we can't repair the boot area using the standard procedures (no Vista Retail DVD to boot with) then not only we have that but then the owners find it difficult to ask HP for the drivers and what order to install them.

I'm going with no.
Bob

Collapse -
so what u mean is...
by ade2007 / November 30, 2009 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: I'm going with no.

It's an HP thing?

Collapse -
Not necessarily.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: so what u mean is...

It's an OEM thing, OEM where the Operating System is pre-installed on the computer before you get it, and you do not get the original OS CD/DVDs, but instead get a recovery partition or are advised to make your own recovery CD/DVD.

There's two things here. (Bob will correct me if I am wrong).

1] Would this computer accept XP? New systems now may be incompatible with older operating systems. In addition, even if it would, you would need 'specific drivers' for XP from the supplier, (in this case HP), but owners often don't want to contact the supplier/manufacturer to ask for the drivers.

2] In dual boot systems the general rule is, install the older OS first, then the newer. The newer OS sees the older and so amends the boot area.

If you have Vista pre-installed then attempt to install XP as a dual boot, the XP installation will delete the Vista boot area and so you cannot access Vista. That could be repaired by inserting the Vista CD/DVD and letting it repair the boot sector, but pre-installed systems often do not come with the OS CD/DVD. That all supposes that you get past the XP install with all the drivers.

Mark

Collapse -
ok...
by ade2007 / November 30, 2009 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Not necessarily.

Yikes, I might as well just look for a high end XP laptop, thanks.

Collapse -
Or just install XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: ok...

Look at this HP dialog -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=271360#2699006

Why I lean to no is that we can't install the dual boot. But if you have all the right parts XP SP2 CD, license and did the research and chat with HP then you could be on XP.

However this very moment I'm kicking Vista 64 to the curb in favor of 7 65 bit. No reason to run the really old OS today.
Bob

Collapse -
I see..
by ade2007 / November 30, 2009 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Or just install XP.

Thanks, Ill just delete the partition i made for the XP install.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.