General discussion

Installing Windows Installer Engine

Am using WinXP SP1.
Please help me decipher the under mentioned info.

"Locating or downloading the Windows Installer
Service (MSI engine)
Installing the Windows Installer Service (MSI engine) on your computer.
Note: Windows XP already contains Windows Installer version 2.0. Thus, you should not have to install the Windows Installer Service (MSI engine) on Windows XP."

How do I confirm that my copy of WinXP contains windows Installed version 2.0 ?

Which File/folder should I check to confirm this ?

Nariman

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Installing Windows Installer Engine
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Installing Windows Installer Engine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Installing Windows Installer Engine

Instead of wondering what files are involved, names, versions, etc., just try the Windows Installer 3.0 Redistributable.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Installing Windows Installer Engine

Hello Cetin.
Thanks a lot for the tip.
Unfortunately at present I cannot install Windows Installer Redistributable as it requires SP2 and I have SP1.Have downloaded the same.
Shall follow up in due course.
Nariman

- Collapse -

Hello Neriman oops Nariman (my aunt?s name it?s Neriman).

OK, by chance do you have an Office XP CD ? If not, I think that you can find one at Mumbai. Just insert it and launch Instmsiw.exe (it's on root). This will reinstall the MSI 2.0 version (you?ll need to Restart PC).

BTW, what?s the reason that you didn?t install SP2 ? Are you working in an IBM context ?

You are welcome and Good Luck,

Cetin

- Collapse -

Hi Cetin.
Have not as yet installed SP2 due to adverse reports on several forums.
Shall try as you suggest and get back to you.
Nariman

- Collapse -

Hi Cetin.
Thanks for the link. Downloaded and installed Windows Installer 3.0. However my problem has not been solved.My problem is ERROR 1628 : failed to complete installation.
Any suggestions.
Nariman

- Collapse -

Hi Nariman,

For windows XP SP, as I said, you should try the Instmsiw.exe from Office XP CD. It'll install the MSI 2.0 version.

However, if you don't have the Office XP possibility, do you have the windows XP CD ? Maybe we can repair the MSI part.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
windows installer

After trying to 'repair' my windows installer (i'm running windows-xp, pro), I found the only way was to re-install the complete windows-xp installation. Following re-installation, everything worked fine again. I chose the up-grade option on re-installation (thus keeping all my files 'etc'intact)

CNET Forums

Forum Info