Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

installing windows defrag

by Kris321 / February 25, 2005 4:28 AM PST

I have SP2.

A few days ago, my computer was fine when i switched it off at night, but when I came to switch if on in the morning it would not boot up windows as it said hal.dll was missing or corrupt. Anyway, I fixed that by installing windows in 'windows1' folder then copying hal.dll into my windows folder.

Since then however certain windows programs have not worked correctly. I needed to reinitall windows media player and a couple of other things. One program that I do not know how to reinstall is the Defragmenter included with windows.
Does anyone know what would have caused my problem?
Will it have any pother side effects?
How do I reinstall Defragmener?

Thanks very much
Kris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing windows defrag
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing windows defrag
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Regain Defrag
by Basie / February 25, 2005 5:46 AM PST

Kris, go to C:\Windows\System32 Folder. Scroll down to
dfrg.msc rt click on it and select Send to Desktop as Shortcut. It sounds like you have a Unstable WinXP OS.
If you installed a second WinXP in Windows 1 Folder do you have a choice at bootup of the two Versions?

Collapse -
doesn't exist
by Kris321 / February 25, 2005 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: Regain Defrag

I went to that folder and had a look and I also did a serach but it does not seem to exist.
Yes, I do have a choice to boot up from the two version.

Collapse -
is there a way to
by Kris321 / February 25, 2005 5:40 PM PST
In reply to: doesn't exist

scan through every file and folder in the Windows directory of a computer and if there are any files missing or changed from when windows was installed to fix or replace them. And to do this without deleting any file at all (such as appliactions, documents or other files in the windows directory)
I think this would solve my problems if there was..

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / February 25, 2005 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: is there a way to
A. A few days ago, my computer was fine when i switched it off at night, but when I came to switch if on in the morning it would not boot up windows as it said hal.dll was missing or corrupt. Anyway, I fixed that by installing windows in 'windows1' folder then copying hal.dll into my windows folder.

Long road for such a short distance.

1. When confronted with a DLL file problem, a copy of some Microsoft media may already be owned from which the file can be extracted, "Definition and Explanation of a .DLL file (Q87934)".

2. To determine whether the file is a Microsoft issue, access the "DLL Help Database", enter the file name -- including extension in the space provided, and then press Enter (correct spelling and punctuation is recommended). If a list is rendered, simply determine from what media is shown and that currently owned and extract a copy, "How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files (Q129605)".

3. If the file is unknown, it's usually advantageous to simple uninstall and reinstall the applicable program for which the file belongs. Otherwise, search the "Google_Group" Web site for resources.

B. is there a way to scan through every file and folder in the Windows directory of a computer and if there are any files missing or changed from when windows was installed to fix or replace them.

1. The article [Q310747] discusses and describes the Beta release of System File Checker (Sfc.exe), a command-line tool that examines protected system files and restores the correct versions by using backups stored in the Dllcache folder or files copied from the operating system CD. Protected files include those with .sys, .dll, .exe, .ttf, .fon and .ocx file name extensions. Due to disk space considerations, storing all protected files in the Dllcache folder might not be practical especially on computers with limited storage space. Therefore, the system may require and prompt for the operating system CD. In addition, SFC can be used to repopulate the %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache folder if the contents become damaged or unusable.

2. Recommended reading and important to understand are these five articles:

a. "Description of the Windows File Protection Feature (Q222193)."

b. "System Files Reference."

c. "Windows File Protection and Windows" which explains that WFP prevents programs from replacing critical system files which must not be overwriten that are used by the OS and by other programs. Please note that WFP may record events to the system event log noting file replacement attempt that may lead to concluding certain anomalies.

d. "Registry Settings for Windows File Protection and System File Checker (Q222473)."

e. Also note, "Replacing files protected by the Windows File Protection (Q555047)" which explaining how to replace files, which you may never need to know or use.

Caveats: The WFP cache (%systemroot%\system32\dllcache) is not protected and its files can be overwritten either using the Windows Explorer or the command prompt. Since the folder is a compressed system folder, it is necessary to disable the Hide protected operating system files option in the global folder options to see the folder in Windows Explorer or in a directory listing.
Collapse -
Sounds like you have
by glb613 / February 25, 2005 8:26 PM PST

more problems than just the missing files or .dlls. What do you use on a regular basis to scan for viruses, spyware and other malware?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!