Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing Windows 98

by 1wannabesmart2 / March 30, 2004 3:11 PM PST

I am running Windows XP Professional on a PC with a P4 2.0 Ghz processor and with 256 MB RAM. I wish to install Windows 98 on my PC but when I run the setup file I get the error
-"You cannot install Windows 98 while running this version of Windows.
Start your computer in MS-DOS mode and then install Windows 98. See the Windows 98 installation guide for further instructions."
What do I do as I require to install Windows 98?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Windows 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Windows 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Installing Windows 98
by Rollo / March 30, 2004 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: Installing Windows 98

You can't just install Windows 98 over a Windows XP installation, for a start the file systems are likely to be different. If your hard disk is over 10gig Windows XP will most likely be using NTFS file system, and Windows 98 has to use the FAT, or FAT32 file system. Windows, of any kind, would never let you simply over-write an existing Windows installation anyway. You don't say if you want a dual boot system. Whatever you want, you will have to delete the existing active partition on your hard drive (losing all the data presently on it), reboot, create new partition(s) for whichever file system your operating system uses, reboot, then format the new partition(s). Then you can install operating system or systems into the relevant partitions. If not much of that makes sense, you'd better get in a professional.

Collapse -
Format C: To Install W98
by pfeffer3 / March 30, 2004 9:09 PM PST

But, if you have a namebrand computer, then you are probably stuck with WXP.

If you have a custom built computer, format C: and then you can install W98 but it must be a full version and not an upgrade.

When you format C: all data will be lost and so be sure to save all important information to some form of removable disk. And you will need all driver disks.

Collapse -
Re:Installing Windows 98
by ancientspirit / March 31, 2004 3:54 AM PST

When i tried to install a windows 95 game program intended for a P200 windows 95 i ran into alot of problems, and found out that windows XP "HATES" ANY win95 programs and MSDOS!! I HAD TO reboot and reinstall the whole shaBANG!! all over again. twice this happen to me on two differnt games, Know i'm seeking out an old PIII windows 98 platform to run all the Win 95 games and utilities.. "What a pain in the *** this is.."

Collapse -
Re:Re:Installing Windows 98
by maxieray / March 31, 2004 7:46 AM PST

Why not just make a dual boot.
Use a partition utility like PQ Partition Magic.
Create a fat partition and install win 98 or 95.
Use PQ boot magic to boot which ever one you want to boot.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?