Windows 7 forum

Question

Installing Windows 7 on a Homemade computer

by cadams771 / April 18, 2012 8:18 AM PDT

I recently finished my first homebuilt pc and I know it works, I bought windows online and got product key and everything. They are also sending me the disk, but I was wondering if it was possible to do it without the disk? I just really dont wanna wait a week for the disk to get here to make my pc work so i was just curious. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Windows 7 on a Homemade computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Windows 7 on a Homemade computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did they not send you a download link
by TWB404 / April 18, 2012 8:29 AM PDT

Who did you buy the key from. If you bought a key from M$, they should have included a link to download an ISO file. If you have the ISO file I can link you some sites on how to burn the ISO to a DVD or how to do it from a USB.

Collapse -
windows
by cadams771 / April 18, 2012 8:59 AM PDT

Yeah i bought it from microsoft. I do have a choice to do the iso or exe download. id love to know how big it is and how to burn it to a disk

Collapse -
The ISO should be around 3.5GB
by TWB404 / April 18, 2012 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: windows
Collapse -
issues
by cadams771 / April 18, 2012 11:50 AM PDT

I put it into my flashdrive and selected it as y boot device, but all that comes up is a black screen with a blinking _ character

Collapse -
So you downloaded it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 18, 2012 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: issues

and copied it to your flash drive, (memory stick)?

It may not be that easy. Did you follow all the instructions in the link TWB gave you?

There is a video on how to do this here;
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Personally I think it is easier to burn that downloaded .iso file to a DVD as an ISO, then use that DVD to boot up the system from the DVD and install Win 7 that way.

Mark

Collapse -
My first thought
by Jimmy Greystone / April 18, 2012 11:21 PM PDT

My first thought would be that you didn't "burn" the ISO image to the flash drive, you just copied the .iso file to the flash drive.

Collapse -
Did you downlaod the Windows installer
by TWB404 / April 19, 2012 12:03 AM PDT

Did you download and run the Windows installer.

The page I linked you had 2 options. You can use a program to create a USB or do it manually. My fault. If you look at option one and click on Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. That shows you how to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. There is a download button on that page to download the program.

This is the link if you want to download it directly.

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

Run that tool and it will walk you thru making a bootable thumb drive with your ISO to install Win 7. It installs faster then a DVD but if you find using a DVD easier then go by the advice most people give. Go with what works for you. lol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.