Windows 7 forum

General discussion

installing Windows 7

by mightymike2 / November 1, 2009 4:06 AM PST

Hi, everyone.
I have an older Dell 9150 with 4 gigs of ram and running XP home and my questions are, This is a 32 bit chip set, right? I mean, it would be of no value for me to install the 64 bit version, am I right?
My next question is, I have installed a new 620 gig hard drive that is completely empty in a second bay.
So can I install the new OS on that drive and then just move my files and whatever I'am keeping to that new drive and then clean the original hard drive and use it for back up?
Is it that simple or am I missing some steps.
Will I have to look up and install new drivers for all my peripherals, or will they just work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You all in advance for taking the time to read this and for coming up with some suggestions.
Mightymike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: installing Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: installing Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 9150 can have 64 bit CPUs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: installing Windows 7
Collapse -
64 bit
by mightymike2 / November 1, 2009 5:16 AM PST

Hello, R. Proffitt.
Thank You for your quick response.
I don't know how to find that info out but I was under the impression that if you are going to run 64 bit, you would have to increase the ram and this board is at it's maximum ram now.
If that's the case, can I change to 64 bit and then double up my ram to 2 gig strips instead of 1 gig strips or will the board still only deal with 4 gigs?
Mighymike

Collapse -
64bit is address space not memory dependency.
by Porch-a-Geese / November 1, 2009 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: 64 bit

You can run a 64bit system on 96M- not Windows, though- if you have a system setup properly.
The limitation to memory use is the amount of space the CPU can use.
The other limitation has to do with the BIOS settings and whether or not the motherboard allows more RAM to be added. The BIOS will also have the information about the CPU type.

Collapse -
I don't think it would make much sense ...
by Kees Bakker / November 1, 2009 5:29 AM PST

to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7 if you have 4 GB or less memory. And it doesn't seem you need more, and it even is doubtful if your motherboard can support more.

Kees

Collapse -
Is it really that much of a memory hog,
by Porch-a-Geese / November 1, 2009 7:29 AM PST

to need 4G of RAM?
That's extremely inefficient and wasteful for any system. The hard drive must be screaming.

Collapse -
OhOh
by mightymike2 / November 1, 2009 8:15 AM PST

Hi, guys.
You're starting to confuse me real bad now.
Porch-a-Geese, do you mean, now, running XP, that my drive must be screaming?
I had thought that having 4 gigs with running 32 bit, that that was good. If I want to upgrade to 64bit, then it wouldn't even begin to run efficiently until I got up to 8 or more gigs. In simple terms. Isn't this right?
I don't handle confusion very well, I get more confused.
Mightymike

Collapse -
Misunderstanding
by Porch-a-Geese / November 1, 2009 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: OhOh

The comment of mine is in reference to Kees post about memory and Windows 7.
Don't worry about it, okay?

Collapse -
wrong person
by mightymike2 / November 1, 2009 10:51 AM PST
In reply to: Misunderstanding

Hi, Porch-a-Geese.
O.K. good, Thanks.
Mightymike

Collapse -
You have the machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 10:20 AM PST

Look up CPUID to identify which cpu you have. Sorry but I did the Beta, did the RC and now am on the new iron and can't see why not going with the newest latest 64 bit version. Sure beats what happens if you change your mind later.
Bob

Collapse -
cpu
by mightymike2 / November 1, 2009 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: You have the machine.

Hi, folks.
I have the Pentium D 820.
Besides that, tho. I also need to get the lowdown on weather I could load the new OS on the spare hard drive and move whatever files and programs to it and then wipe the original drive clean and use it for back up. Also, are there issues with drivers with the new Windows 7?
Thanks again in advance.
Mightymike

Collapse -
The Pentium D 820.is 64 bit capable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: cpu

But your questions have been covered many times in this and other places.

Programs never move well. Nothing has changed in that respect. Also the pain of what happens when you decide to run just Windows 7 is going to repeat what we learned about dual boot Windows XP and Vista. Again, learn from the past.

About issues with drivers. Nothing new here. Same story as it has been since Windows 3.1, 95 and so on. We still get to find the drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
seems like it's not a good idea
by mightymike2 / November 2, 2009 2:28 AM PST

Well, thank you Bob.
I couldn't find those particular questions answered but it seems that from what you're saying is that I should just stay where I am and maybe go with Windows 7 with a new computer whenever that needs to take place.
Thanks again to everyone that gave my questions some thought.
Mightymike

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!