HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing Windos XP on old laptop

by stiaddict / March 5, 2005 7:18 AM PST

I hvae this old laptop that I want to install XP on. My question is how do I uninstall Windows 98, and then install Xp?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Windos XP on old laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Windos XP on old laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you intend to wipe out 98...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 7:30 AM PST

Since you intent is to wipe 98, your choice to attempt an upgrade to just go with a clean install.

But before you do, be sure to run something like BELARC ADVISOR so you can have any CDKEYs you had as well as an inventory of the hardware. Also, see if there are XP drivers for this laptop.

Can I ask one thing? Why didn't you tell about this laptop's make, model and hardware details? You could have availed yourself of insight about whether it's no-go.

Bob

Collapse -
laptop title
by stiaddict / March 5, 2005 11:22 AM PST

It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CS.

Collapse -
Not a good model to install XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: laptop title
Collapse -
You might start here:
by rgfitz / March 5, 2005 8:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Install Windows XP
by rattlinbones / March 5, 2005 9:27 AM PST

First. If you have less than 256meg of ram forget installing XP Pro, be sure that your video card does not share system ram, if so, 512meg of ram is the go.
Second. Make sure your bios is APIC compliant.
Third. From then on it's simple, go to your bios and tell it to boot from cd-rom, put your disc in and follow the instructions. When you come to format choose NTFS. The one thing I do like about windows is its installation routine

Collapse -
Too low of RAM as no good on WinXP Pro
by chris-sinclair / March 5, 2005 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Install Windows XP

Hi,

I agree with Rattlinbones saying that WinXP Pro as no good if the PC's RAM as under 256 MB.

As I already mentioned in another thread that I've reformatted a Compaq PC from WinXP Home to Win2K.

That PC was originally as WinXP Home from the factory and the RAM was also originally at only 128 MB.

The RAM was too low for WinXP.

The low RAM and the running on Celeron as the reasons for speed and performance issues.

I did also have increased the RAM to 256 MB as well.

I was having problems WinXP's bugs at the time too.

It is much better not to bother upgrading to WinXP on an aging low memory PC either.

Buy a new PC instead?

ChrisX

Collapse -
xp doesn't startup on an old win2000 laptop
by sovereign123 / April 14, 2008 8:01 AM PDT

hi,
I imaged my win2000 laptop with winxp image but once i start the laptop, the bios checks out fine but it gives me a message saying because of hardware and software change, windows can't start up properly. when i try the options given me like safe mode, safe mode with networking/command prompt, it still doesn't work.
my win2000 laptop config is
mobile pentium (r) III-850/700MHz
current cpu speed: 850MHz
level 2 Cache: 256KB
system Memory: 512MB
video controller: ATI M3
audio controller: ESS Maestro 3
Primary Hard Drive: 40010 MB
DIskette Drive A: Modular Bay
Diskette Drive B: Not Installed
Modular Bay: Diskette Drive

Should I get a winxp cd and run it from the start or reinstall win2000 on it?

Collapse -
The image appears to be for another machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

Should I get a winxp cd and run it from the start or reinstall win2000 on it?

Go with which works!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.