Windows 7 forum

Question

Installing Win 7 slowed down my computer

by Sakhar / May 29, 2015 4:48 AM PDT

I installed Windows 7 operating system on my Dell Dimension E510 computer and it really runs slow. The computer has 4 gb memory and has CCleaner, Spybot, AVG and Malware bytes installed. These antivirus programs are also installed in my other computer, a Dimension 9150, running Win XP operating system and the speed is not affected.
How can I increase the speed on the computer running Win 7?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Win 7 slowed down my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Win 7 slowed down my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
XP does run "faster" than 7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 5:24 AM PDT

7 has many effects like Aero and more that we would have to turn off. Also, Microsoft's stock install may and here omits all the drivers and apps I need to get back to full speed.

Next, if I have this on my old 512MB laptop, XP wins again.

Not much new going on here.
Bob

Collapse -
Dell seems to have it covered driver wise.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 6:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
did you install dell win7 drivers
by renegade600 / May 29, 2015 5:39 AM PDT

did you go to dells website, download the proper win7 driver and install them? also if you just installed win7, search indexing could be running in the background slowing down your computer. It will take a day or so until it is completed, depending on how full the drive is.

Collapse -
Dell does not support Win 7 for the E510 computer
by Sakhar / May 30, 2015 1:06 AM PDT

I went to the Dell site to see if I could download the win 7 driver for my Dimension E510 computer as suggested. It turns out that Dell does not support win 7 operating system for the E510 computer. So I guess it's either going back to the XP operating system or replace my E510 computer.
Thanks, guys, for all your help.

Collapse -
From memory the non-support is the video area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2015 2:19 AM PDT

One could pop in a cheap video card. I've seen the usual 5450 for 20 to 30 bucks.

Collapse -
PS. Nod to SPECCY
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2015 2:40 AM PDT

When I want to run 7 anyway I get get SPECCY so I know what's in the box. I think folk today don't want to do the work or want others to do it for them.

In that case, Linux.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.