Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installing webcam drivers on Viliv S10 with Windows 7

by sexysnake / July 31, 2010 10:02 AM PDT

I just purchased the most low-end model of the Viliv S10 Blade which comes with Windows XP. I upgraded to win 7 and managed to install most drivers (although the wireless card was turned off by default which made me pull my hair out because it was not detected in device manager - eventually pressing the FN + F2 helped).

Now I am trying to figure out how to install my webcam drivers. They are not on Viliv's website. The webcam is not detected in the Device manager. I tried running PC Wizard to find out what kind of webcam it has, but it crashes the computer every time I run it.

I restored the factory defaults and the webcam started working again.

Now I have a few ideas to apply but not sure what my next coarse of action should be:

1. Find a program that can tell me which kind of webcam is installed on the machine.

2. Try extracting and backing up drivers from the default factory settings which might work on Win 7.

I like to know if there is any program which will detect/show the webcam type/ model etc.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing webcam drivers on Viliv S10 with Windows 7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing webcam drivers on Viliv S10 with Windows 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just an idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 3:37 AM PDT

Try EVEREST LAST FREE VERSION on google then see if the webcam is listed then GOOGLE for that cam.

Web cams however are cheap things so you may have to pop for another one.
Bob

Collapse -
Updates
by sexysnake / August 1, 2010 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Just an idea.

Okay here is an update. After restoring factory defaults, the camera does work and does show up in device manager but only when the Villiv Cam software is started. Windows makes a beeping sound as if a hardware is plugged in. I can post links to the screen shots I have taken.

The device manager describes it as "USB Video Device # 2". The driver details says it is a Microsoft driver version 5.1.2600.5512.

It disappears from the device manager as soon as I close the Villivcam software. The Skype does detect the camera but unfortunately by that time it is in use by the Villivcam application is not available for Skype. I wonder what Villiv were thinking when they implemented this. There is a webcam but it is unusable out of the box!

I don't mind spending a few bucks on a webcam but I payed a high price for the portability and don't want to carry an additional device to replace the one it is suppose to come with.

I tried emailing their tech support and the email bounced back because they apparently didn't have their DNS set up properly.

My next step is to put windows 7 back on there and check if the Villivcam software work on Windows 7, which might trigger Windows 7 to look for generic Video drivers online. Wish me good luck!

Collapse -
Sounds loopy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Updates

I've seen such as apps enable this or that and this and that cease to work when the app is not running.

If it's that loopy I'd look for another camera. Too bad EVEREST didn't find it.
Bob

Collapse -
Oh well...
by sexysnake / August 1, 2010 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds loopy.

To be honest I don't even use the webcam that often. But I like to make sure that everything is working the way it is suppose to be (I have an N900 which makes a great tethering device btw and I can do Video Skype calls on that - I really don't need a webcam that bad but as I said I wanna make it work).

As for the Villiv cam software, it failed to launch on Windows 7. Everest didn't detect and video devices either. Tomorrow I am going to call Villiv tech support - hopefully that works better that their email support.

Right now I feel that this machine was a very expensive compromise.

Collapse -
The other os?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh well...

When faced with driver hunts I also use Linux to sniff out what things are. As there are many discussions about linux, webcams and usb I'll leave it at that.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by sexysnake / August 6, 2010 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: The other os?

Okay so being a techie doesn't always help you find shortcuts. I avoided downloading anything from the "software" section thinking it is bloatware. But today I gave it a try since the "software" activated the webcam on the XP. I downloaded everything that I didn't before and voila! the program named Viliv Manager turns on Bluetooth, wifi, and the Webcam. Simplest solution ever. Only if Viliv had a description next to the downloads.

Collapse -
There's a similar Dell title called QuickSet
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem Solved

Many avoid Quickset from Dell which turns on wifi, bluetooth and maybe other items.

I see where the days of a driver being all you needed are long gone.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.