HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installing Vista on a 'brand new everything' system, help!

by Hydrilus / June 27, 2008 7:49 PM PDT

Mmk this is my first system build, I'm not a complete noobie going into this though...I've replaced mobos and swapped hardware, hooked it all up and everything before for a while now but just have never actually built my own system... Anyway...

nForce 750i FTW Motherboard is what i got for SLI and all that crap
Two 2gb sticks of OCZ SLI memory
640gb Western Digital SATA hard drive
Some Philips DVD-RW SATA drive...
Intel Core Duo 3.00ghz E8400

Okay now, I have Vista Ultimate 64 (Full version) and am having some issues...

Upon installing the mobo and everything, booted up, went through BIOS and the only thing i changed was the boot device order (I went CD-ROM, then Hard Drive, and that's it). Everything else is default (which seemed to look okay, all SATA ports enabled, blah blah).

Now, I pop in the Vista install disc, it pops up with its' windows, asks for language, etc... Enter my CD key...yes yes. Next I choose CUSTOM install because this is going to a brand new blank hard drive... Now the window comes up asking me to select a hard drive, my WD HDD is recognized, i click on "New" and create a 25gig partition, it is now listed as "Primary." Okay moving on, i click next and it begins installing...

NOW THE ISSUES...

It gets to the point where it wants to restart...alright, all is well. It restarts with the BIOS options of F1 to continue or Delete to go to BIOS setup...(strange, shouldn't it go straight to starting up with the OS like a normal computer..?) Anyway i hit F1 and it continues...another status checklist appears and when it's done, says to press any button to boot from CD... I press any button, the CD spins, and now I'm back at the Vista install screens I was at from the very start of this process...as if it never even installed the OS.

NOW, the thing is, if i don't press anything, it keeps restarting over and over and over by itself. As I type this I can hear this rig beeping in the other room as it continues to restart itself. As it does this, there is a quick flash of a blue error screen but it's so fast I can't make out what the error is. Vista's Repair searches for errors and ends up telling me it can't fix them automatically.

What's the problem?? This is "supposed" to be a vista ready mobo, i think all the nForce ones are so what's the issue? WHy can't it just install easily like a nice OS? I don't see why it would be an issue with the HDD or the DVD drive...it sees them both so... I'm really lost here...thank you for any feedback...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing Vista on a 'brand new everything' system, help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing Vista on a 'brand new everything' system, help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It may be ready after a BIOS update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 1:07 AM PDT

I can't count the times they ship the boards with a not ready BIOS. Ask it's maker if there are updates. Also, do not plug in all your USB things yet.
Bob

Collapse -
hmmm
by Hydrilus / June 29, 2008 8:33 AM PDT

I only have the keyboard plugged in through USB, nothing else. I'm going to try switching out the motherboard battery and/or switching my sata drive over to a different sata connection... See if it works..but I'm doubting it. Probably has something stupid to do with drivers...

Collapse -
So is the BIOS current?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 8:39 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm

One stick of RAM?
No overclocking, etc?
Any "recycled" parts?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.