Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installing/Uninstalling software/programs

Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 bit

Vista SP2

I log in via a limited user account. But if I need to install a program. I seem to be able to do so by typing in the admin password when prompted

So if I install something, lets say java and I do it from the limited user account, but with the admin password, what negative can come from it?

What about using the remove program function while logged in on limited user account? I seem to be able to do taht too with using the admin password when prompted

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing/Uninstalling software/programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing/Uninstalling software/programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you enter in that password

In reply to: Installing/Uninstalling software/programs

When you enter in that password, that installer program is then run under that administrative account and has the same level of access as that administrative account.

Different processes on Windows, and really pretty much any modern OS, can run as different users. Each user may have varying degrees of access to the system. Every time you enter in that administrative password, you are potentially opening pandora's box. The problem is that the alternative is the program cannot be installed and thus used, so you must consider your actions carefully. And by even asking this question, you're already well on the way down the correct path. You have a ways to go yet, but you're at least going in the right direction.

Collapse -
On Vista And Windows 7, It Usually Works Fine

Basically, you're running the program uninstall as administrator which allows the correct permissions to remove the correct system files.. I have seen a few occasions where the permissions were locked so that only a specific administrator could do the removal.. In that case, you'd need to type in the correct administrator log in, not just any administrator, but the correct one for the permissions.

Personally, I prefer to perform the install, or uninstall, from an actual administrator login, especially with complex programs, simply to make sure everything gets done the best way possible.. A little extra time will potentially prevent a lot of troubles should something not work as wished.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) Did you resolve this?

Collapse -
yes

In reply to: Did you resolve this?

thanks all. So I see much can be done via the standard user account as long as one has admin password.

thanks all

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!