General discussion

Installing Tiger over Leopard

Here's a question for Mr Mac Fixit:

I have a 17" iMac G4 that I was rung Tiger with, then I installed Leopard 10.5. I use this as a second computer. All is fine except that my Epson scanner does not work with 10.5. I've tried the latest drivers. I'd like to reinstall Tiger. I used the 10.5 disc to reformat the drive and start from square one. When I boot from my original Tiger disc it starts opening it's windows, but when I get to the point where I can choose Install or use Disk Utility to reformat from the Tiger disc, all windows freeze and I need to hard reboot from the power switch. Am I correct to assume that 10.5 won't let 10.4 to reinstall. Is this correct?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Installing Tiger over Leopard
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Installing Tiger over Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try This

Rather than rolling the whole OS back for a scanner, maybe try VueScan which is a 3rd party scanner driver for scanners that have been abandoned by their makers. It works great.

http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

Here's a list of supported Epson scanners:

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#epson

As to your install problem, it's possible that there was a firmware update that was required for 10.5 that breaks your 10.4 from running anymore.

- Collapse -
Vuescan

Thanks! That looks like a solution. I'll try it when I get home. That program would solve a lot of frustration. I guess the easy solution would be to buy a new scanner, which is what all of the companies want us to do.

- Collapse -
VueScan Works!

Kevin,

VueScan works great! Thanks!

- Collapse -
Good to Hear

I pretty much use Vuescan myself for the same reason... keeping an ancient scanner alive.

- Collapse -
Had I not been on vacation,

it would have been a race between Kevin and I as to who posted the VueScan solution first.

I use it and have not yet found a scanner that it did not work with.

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info