General discussion

Installing SP3 onto different drive on my laptop

Hello everybody

Firstly, apologies if this has already been covered - I'm currently in Cambodian on a very slow dial up connection and google (who is usually my best friend) isn't even talking to me at the moment.

I've been using imaging software for more years than I care to remember, with Windows and a couple of other vital programs (and those rotten Google programs that don't give you the option) on drive C and everything else is installed onto another partition - not automatically, I do a custom install and change the installation directory. I have 2 questions.

I've been restoring, updating and making a new working image every Sunday for over a year and it's time for a format and new install, partly because the image is getting too big. My OEM XP Pro CD is SP2 which obviously will go onto drive C. I've downloaded SP3 and dotnetfx35 - will I come across any problems if I install them onto drive D? Seems logical that I won't, but what is logical when it comes to Microsoft? If this is possible, it seems reasonable that I can move all of those update files held in the Windows directory to the same location where I install the two big files, which should cut down on a lot of space on drive C over time.

My other question involves My Documents. I currently have My Documents on Drive D, but I DON'T want to move Documents and Settings from drive C - I test out a lot of programs which I install onto drive C and when I do my weekly restore all programs and app data that I've installed magically disappears. Thing is, I can't remember how I did this. My limited googling has only brought up links on moving both My Documents and Documents and Settings.

Sorry - a third question. Is it worth using something like nLite to do an unattended install?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to give me. I can't wait to get back to 'civilization' with a broadband connection, although I have to admit that life on the beach is kind of nice Wink

Once I'm up and working with a shiny new vanilla operating system image, my next project is going to be to have a go at installing Ubuntu, which should be a lot more difficult (and fun).

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Installing SP3 onto different drive on my laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Installing SP3 onto different drive on my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I don't think you mean install SP3 on drive D: do you?

but rather just copy it there and upgrade XP later. Another option, if you have a burner that can burn .iso files to disk is to use something like autostreamer to create a new copy of your Windows installation disk with SP3 already in it. All you need to make sure of is that, when you burn the .iso, you give the new disk the same volume label as is on the old one. It should take your product ID code and activate just fine. Just an option if you've not considered it.

- Collapse -
I agree with Steven

SP3 is just an XP update .exe file and is not something that can be 'installed' separately.

You can download the SP3 .exe file and save it anywhere you like, then copy it back to your C drive to run it later to install the updates. But it won't 'install' anywhere else.

Mark

- Collapse -
I think I've just learned something new!

I was thinking that I'd save space on drive C because SP3 and dotnetfx35 are such big files, but of course they are going to install into the main windows directory. Moving all of those update files - the ones that show up in blue in the Windows directory such as $NtServicePackUninstall$ to another drive will save a lot of space, and the two big ones are just updates like the rest of them, so I've just done that and looked at the folder properties and I've saved myself 1.25GB on drive C by moving them. In fact, I've just noticed in the filename it says uninstall, so is it worth keeping them at all???

Any idea's on the other question about moving My Documents but NOT moving Documents and Settings? I really can't remember how I did it.

On my third question, I've just set up an unattended install with nLite (haven't installed it yet) but if it works like it says it does, I'm going to have got rid of a lot of things I don't and never will use.

Thanks again, you're both very kind to have not been patronizing in answering such a dumb question which I should have figured out myself.

- Collapse -
Simple

Simple. You just right click on the My Documents folder, and you're given an option of redirecting it to some other location. Just be sure to move everything out of it first to a temporary location, because every now and then that creates an issue of "lost" files.

- Collapse -
My Documents versus Documents and Settings

Documents and settings contains all user My Document folders so anytime you redirect My Documents, it's for the user logged in and not the rest. Personally, I don't do this but it's your choice. I find "save as" just about as easy. I'll also just copy and paste the entire folder elsewhere as part of a backup scheme. I'd also think that you'd not want to monkey around with "the" Administrator folder and risk corrupting that one as it may become your only savior in the event of real trouble.

- Collapse -
You mentoned Google problems.
- Collapse -
My Docs and Asia-Google disputes.

Thank you all again - I think my brain must be getting old because it just isn't working the way it used to. I used to manually 'Save As' but it was a repetitive chore that I did away with, and there are some things which automatically save to My Docs without asking, which is really annoying. I'm the only user, so there aren't any issues with the locations really.

And... Cambodia already has it's issues with Google. I haven't kept up with the whole subject, should really because I spend about 10 months of every year in South East Asia, but in a nutshell (probably with a few major incorrect facts), there's been a border dispute between Cambodia and Thailand going on forever - at least a hundred years - and nobody seemed to care about it too much about it until some 1,00 year old temple on said disputed land was given UNESCO World Heritage status a year or two ago. Apparently achieving this status is very good for tourism. Since then there have been lots of border tussles, including soldiers and civilians killed and badly injured on both sides and then somebody figured out that Google Earth had put the border on the Thai side (or was it the other way around?) Neither country particularly like Google right now - I think they've changed the status to 'disputed border' which both sides claim is an insult to them.

One thing about this area - it's never boring!

CNET Forums

Forum Info