HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Installing SP3 from a disk

by golden1 / November 23, 2010 11:28 AM PST

I am on dial-up and want to install SP3 from the disk. Before I order it, does it take less time to install from the disk?

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing SP3 from a disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing SP3 from a disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Heh..
by PKsteven / November 23, 2010 2:50 PM PST

On dial-up, you may get the disk ordered, received and installed before you could download it on dial-up Wink

So yes, it will be much better and you don't have to download it again and if something happens, you will have the disk handy. I would definitely suggest ordering it. I have 1.5-3 mbps service and I still use the disk to install it instead of downloading.

Collapse -
Installing SP3 from a disk
by golden1 / November 24, 2010 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Heh..

Anther question...When installing the disk does it allow stopping and resuming? Or is it just one straight shot?

Thanks again to all.

Collapse -
Installing
by PKsteven / November 25, 2010 2:46 AM PST

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling you are confusing some terms when you ask about resume from disk. First let's tackle that just in case.

1. Installing: If you are installing, you are not downloading, it's all "local". You could unhook from the internet and still install from disk and has nothing to do with internet.

2. Downloading: This is you getting information from a server, the server is "uploading" sending you the information. Especially on 56k, it's a VERY slow process. It's like this, if Microsoft has a bag of sand, they are sending you the grains until you have a bag of sand. Hence uploading\downloading.

3. Let's compare DSL or Cable with 56k: DSL\Cable is like sucking up a bag of sand with a shopvac, while 56k is like sucking up sand through a drinking straw.. which one is going to be done much faster? Right.

4. Local: If you have a disk, you put that in your machine, it's local. You are not uploading or downloading anything, no sand. The info goes directly from your CD\DVD drive to your hard drive, no internet. The info is on the disk and simply, when read, expands, copies, installs to your hard drive on your computer.

Now, there is no resume feature with SP3, it installs and is done, but it only takes about 15-20 min, maybe longer depending on how fast your machine is,to install and is quite a large install.
You could stop it in the middle of an install, then wait for it to uninstall, then have to reinstall again, NOT RECOMMENDED.

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding.

Collapse -
Installing
by golden1 / November 25, 2010 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Installing

Thanks for clarifying the terminology for me. And you answered my question. 15 to 20 mins sounds great!

Thanks again.

Collapse -
One more thing...
by PKsteven / November 25, 2010 3:23 PM PST
In reply to: Installing

It's 15-20 min "typically" but if you have a slower machine, it may seem like it hangs or it may take longer. Don't panic though, it's installing and eventually will get done.

Collapse -
One more thing.
by golden1 / November 26, 2010 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: One more thing...

Thanks!

Collapse -
If you've got a friend with a high-speed connection, perhaps
by VAPCMD / November 24, 2010 12:10 AM PST

they'd download it and burn it to a disc for you.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Yep, If You Have A Friend With Broadband...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 24, 2010 12:42 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm scared
by volvogirl / November 27, 2010 3:07 AM PST

Grif....On that page it says in bold black type DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER. And at the top it says for IT Professionals and Developers. I want to burn it so I can update my 3 computers (especially an old one I don't use much and don't connect to the internet) and have the cd for backup. So I assume this is the full pack and it will be ok for personal use? It will be ok to d/l the full pack even if I don't need all the features? I'm just too scared to do the update using the updater via internet. I don't think I've ever d/l a sp update before.

Collapse -
It Will Work Just Fine.. Even For Personal Use..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 28, 2010 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: I'm scared

And as others have mentioned regarding the time to download the large file, a cable connection should do it much quicker than two hours.. usually less than 30 minutes.

As to installing the full service pack, set aside about 30 minutes for it also.. It may go quicker than that but much depends on the speed of your computer processor, RAM, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
One more question....
by volvogirl / November 27, 2010 3:13 AM PST

On that page when I changed it to DSL/Cable it says it will take over 2 hours (dial-up said 12hrs). Will it really take that long to d/l? Is the 15-20min mentioned for d/l or installing?

Collapse -
Interesting...I didn't find another version of SP3 to
by VAPCMD / November 27, 2010 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: One more question....

download.

Re time to download....I'm running cable and did the download in 5 minutes. Not sure how long the install takes as that would depend to some extent on the PC.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Yes...
by PKsteven / November 27, 2010 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: One more question....

It will take a long time, hence my analogy of the bags of sand. 15-20 min or a bit longer, depending on system is for the installing.

You can go to Windows Updates and it will list SP3 as a download.

I still suggest ordering it or as others stated, have someone download it for you.

Collapse -
I do have Comcast Cable
by volvogirl / November 27, 2010 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: Yes...

I was just wondering if the stated time on just downloading (not installing) the full SP3 will really be over 2 hours as stated on that MS website.

Collapse -
Yes it will
by PKsteven / November 27, 2010 8:27 AM PST

Very often, that is assuming you have no slow downs, phone calls, interruptions, your internet speed is steady throughout the download, etc... and is only an estimated average. No one truly gets 56k on a 56k connection, which I won't go into right now but when I was on dial up and downloaded SP3, "quite some time ago now" I left it go over night so when I woke up it was done.

I am not saying it will take that long for yours, honestly, I can't, however, it will definitely be a while. If you have somewhere to go, perhaps a movie to watch, have some coffee.. that's how you get through having 56k.

Collapse -
I realize there could be some variation based on
by VAPCMD / November 27, 2010 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: Yes it will

the server load. That said, ACTUAL download time earlier this afternoon (5 minutes start to finish) at post 12 of 15.

VAPMCD

Collapse -
Cable
by PKsteven / November 27, 2010 6:16 PM PST

Not sure in the comparison here. 56k is nowhere near your speed obviously. On my 1.5-3.0 mbps DSL service, 25 min.

I am not doubting your speed on downloading, I am just wondering if you mean you are comparing their time to your actual time? What I see there are (786k)for DSL\Cable estimates? T1 (1.5) "which even I get better than".

I think MS needs to update their speeds or perhaps hasn't since SP3 was released? So your cable speed is likely WELL over their estimates, as even mine is, but for the 56k, it could be much more accurate. 56k hasn't changed like DSL or cable.

Collapse -
Thanks, Comicfan
by volvogirl / November 28, 2010 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: Cable

He probably thought I was the op. Just to clear it up, on that Windows page there is a box for estimated download speed....
Dial up = 12hr 52min
DSL/Cable 256 = 2hr 49min
DSL/Cable 768 = 57min
T1 = 29min

I know those are probably very conservative estimates. I usually d/l things faster than stated. And since I sit and monitor the whole process in case of problems I was wondering if it will really be 1-2 hours or just minutes to Download.

Collapse -
If you have
by PKsteven / November 28, 2010 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Comicfan

56k, it could very well be hours and hours. As I stated prior, I set mine at the time to download and went to bed so when I woke up, it would be done. Here are some facts that may clear this up for you..

In actuality, it's not exactly 1000 but for this case, close enough.

1kbps(kilobits per second)=1000 "bits per second"

1mbps (megabits per second)=1000 "kilobits per second"

That said, if it takes me 25 minutes at 1.5-3.0 mbps to download, 56k is 56kbps, this is going to take a long time for a large file.

SP3= 316.4 MB (megabytes) not (kilobytes) which as you can see is very similar to the prior.

You will be lucky if you get an actual speed of 32kbps, 56k is more of a standard put on the type of connection than actual speed and highly unlikely you will exceed 32 if not 28kbps .

So in general yes, it can take that long.

Collapse -
Why not just try (download) it and let us know how
by VAPCMD / November 28, 2010 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Comicfan

long it takes. If you need the SP .... you can save and run it anytime. If you don't need it, you can just delete it.

I just tested (downloaded) it again here on Cox Cable and it took about 2 min 45 secs.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
comcast
by PKsteven / November 28, 2010 12:57 PM PST

I see why you made your comparison now, didn't realize it was volvogirl until after she stated about the O.P. My apologies.

Aside from that, can I have your internet speed? Wink

Collapse -
Not a problem and to be honest, I thought most
by VAPCMD / December 1, 2010 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: comcast

folks had pretty good download/upload speeds though their ISPs.

I'm sure there are times when transfer speeds might be slower than others based on net traffic, host server loads, etc.,

Regards,
VAPCMD

Collapse -
I Finally Downloaded it!
by volvogirl / December 1, 2010 1:15 AM PST

It only took 8 minutes to d/l. I have Comcast cable and it d/l it at 644kb per sec. I then burned it to a cd. Don't know when I'll be brave enough to actually install it, lol. Maybe I will try using Windows Update first. Maybe after Christmas.

Thanks for all the help.
Christine

Collapse -
Good to hear and Thanks for the feedback.
by VAPCMD / December 1, 2010 6:38 AM PST

Re XP SP3....I wouldn't have any reservation about installing it but as always ... I make sure I'm backed up before doing so just in case there's a hiccup.

Regards,
VAPCMD

Collapse -
SP3
by asim1987 / December 22, 2010 11:04 AM PST

When you are using dial up and want to download SP3, it will take a lot of time. I would suggest that you order a CD and that way it will be faster.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.