HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Installing SP2 For a computer with no internet

by Ski_rus12 / April 24, 2008 12:29 PM PDT

Hi,
This Is a pretty simple question

My Old computer is not connected to the internet and is running XP home with NO Service packs. I want to install SP2 but I cannot use windows update because it is not connected to the internet. I have installed a uxtheme patch so would that make problems when upgrading? Somewhere there must be a file that I can download, burn to CD or thumb drive, transfer and Install.

I have found this but it says it is a Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers. Can I still use it?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing SP2 For a computer with no internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing SP2 For a computer with no internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / April 24, 2008 12:44 PM PDT

Yes, that will work, but SP3 is mere days away from release, so there's no point in downloading SP2. Just wait a few more days. I think it's set to hit manual download sites on Microsoft's website on Monday or Tuesday, and then be on Windows Update a few days to a week after that.

Odds are, there will also be free CDs you can order from Microsoft with SP3 on it by the end of the month.

Collapse -
Given the uxtheme I'd be prepared for a meltdown.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 12:47 PM PDT

I can't count how many times I've seen that wipe out.

Why do this?

-> Use the Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers.

Sorry but I must decline telling you why you use that or answer yes if you ask if you could use it.
Bob

Collapse -
Really?
by Ski_rus12 / April 24, 2008 4:15 PM PDT

With the UXTheme meltdown thing are you being sarcastic or or telling the truth because I can't find anything about it on google?

And the last bit was a bit confusing. Are you saying I can use the one for IT Professionals and Developers?

Collapse -
Yes I'm telling you yes to use that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Really?

Or order the CD. As to UXTHEME, themed XPs tend to crash and burn. Or rather they tend to show up more often at repair counters.

Collapse -
Ok thanks
by Ski_rus12 / April 25, 2008 3:09 PM PDT

I don't use custom themes now anyway

Collapse -
Re: Installing SP2 For a computer with no internet
by Tufenuf / April 24, 2008 11:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yea. I looked it but postage was about $17 AU.
by Ski_rus12 / April 25, 2008 12:10 AM PDT

That is about $16 USD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.