General discussion

installing second hard drive ?

Have older gateway pent 2 400 mhz 10 gb h/d 5200 rpm,400 ram, installed would like to install another 50 or 60 gb 7200rpm, as a seconded, for children to use for games, not sure of what ata 100 or 133 exactly means or the terms EIDE or IDE means,or if I really need to worry about it, am leaving the small h/d as o/p sys, with the larger one as the slave with their game pro`s installed on it.
I believe I`m heading in the right way here ? Any one help out an old firefighter here thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: installing second hard drive ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: installing second hard drive ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It should be ok

You just need to get the jumpers right. Your P2 might not take advantage of ATA 100/133, however. This depends on the IDE controller. It will run but not at its full performance level. You also did not mention your OS so, being an older rig, I am guessing Win98. Now, if the games are directed to install on the slave drive, keep in mind that some files will be placed on the master anyway. How much is anyones guess but make sure you have some room there too. Another option might be to boot between the drives by switching them in the BIOS for gaming sessions. This would require installing an OS on the drive, however. It might actually be a safer way to do this so as to not risk impairing your 10 gig drive. Good luck with your project.

- Collapse -
Seconded hard drive

thank you for the info. The O/S is WIN X/P, that is fully updated, have found out what EIED and IED is.Still not sure what ATA is. This unit came with floppy along with a cd/dvd player,
I installed a cd burner,couple of years ago, will I be able to purchase a flat cable from a computer shop, that will have enough connections i.e.- for both H/D`S along with the player and the burner, I would also try to keep it as short as possible. I was going to keep basic programs on the small H/D,thought that would run faster, I also thought about 2 O/P Sys, but will have to reseach a little more on the bios work.
thanks for the info

- Collapse -

Your typical motherboard will come with 2 IDE ports and each can handle 2 devices. IDE cables generally have 3 connectors. One goes to the MB and the others to drives. If you need a new cable, get ones with 80 conductors. They probably won't improve performance in older systems but they can eliminate some problems figuring out how to set master/slave drives. You set the drives to cable select (CS). A second drive is a good idea in my opinion. It can be used for storage or part of a backup scheme. One other consideration when adding a power consuming device is to make sure your power supply is adequate. Older systems would come with PSs of about 250 watts. If you PC is a P-3, you can get by with 300. If a p-4, it should be more. Hope that helps.

- Collapse -
Second hard drive

Steve, first of all I would like to thank you for you wisdom, I have installed a western digital 80 gb as the second drive the smaller one boots and has X/P only on it, and the second is for the kids games and such, I was able to get an 80 pin cable to, set it all up at work today, everything went well, thou the power supply is only 250 volts, I will look in to that, Again thank you for the info, I would have spent alot of time in research, this could be fun BOB

CNET Forums

Forum Info