General discussion

installing ram??

new to pc i want to install 256 ram at the min i have 192 128 and a 64 what do i need to buy to upgrade to 256.
could i just buy a 256 card???
been reading cnet for months fantastic
bogwopitt

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: installing ram??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: installing ram??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
More information needed

What motherboard do you have. Most newer boards can be populated with one module rather than in pairs as older boards required. This being the case, and you had an available memory slot, you could just add another 64 meg module to bring you up to 256 megs. You would need to find one campatible with your current memory or you might have problems. Another option would be to try and match the 128 and give it the slot occupied by the 64. The 64 would have to go. You'll need to look at the markings on your existing modules to find out what they are and these aren't always clear. Personally, I doubt going from 192 to 256 is worth the trouble.

- Collapse -
192 ram

going from 192 to 256 ram. i have been haveing trouble going on broadband my service provider reccomends 256 ram.i bought a 256 module but it wouldent work i haveing spent most of the night on cnet i later found out that you have install in pairs of matching ram.
if you dont know you dont know.
so i will be buying another 128 module.
thanks for your reply steven haninger.

- Collapse -
Sorry I was of no further help but

what's important is that you find a match for existing RAM. A very important factor is your OS. If XP, 256 megs is a bottom end amount. 512 is better. If you have Win98, 192 is fine. If Win98, it does not handle broadband well without some registry tweaks. To get proper RAM, it's imperative to know your MB requirements and purchase compatible RAM. I prefer pairs as well. I will get enough so that one module will at least be enough to start the system. The other will help performance and allow troubleshooting if needed. Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
98 and broad band??

kind of confused here what is the problem with 98 and broad band??I have run 98 on cable and dsl with no apperant problems. It will run fine almost 3mgs of cable and runs the same as win 2000 or zp on dsl.

- Collapse -
Perhaps older versions

were not designed to handle it well. There is something about the "receive windows" size. I don't have the links handy but look for "dslreports" doing a google search. There are diagnostic tools to check and recommend registry tweaks. I just "fixed" such a problem on a Win98 1st edition rig that was getting about 965kbps on a cable connection. After the tweaks it was over 4000 and the pages just flew. The strange thing is this person was really happy with the 965kbps download speed. They had been using dialup getting about 24.0 speed so didn't really know how slow this was for cable.

- Collapse -
try Crucial.com

The site has a feature where you can find the right memory or combination required for your computer.

- Collapse -
So you have 3 memory modules in there right now?

If you have a 192, 128 and a 64 you already have 384 MB.

CNET Forums

Forum Info