Mac OS forum

General discussion

Installing panther

by arred / September 30, 2005 8:15 AM PDT

I`m trying to install panther on an 500 mgz imac, everything goes good until I get to the section where i got to choose where to install, my hard drive appears but it got a little red warning that says that I cannot install mac os or start my machine on that hard drive, any help? do I need a diferent hard drive? thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing panther
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing panther
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Installing panther

There has to be a reason why you can't and the installer is telling you. You're just not telling us.
Not enough room, damaged, it's the install CD, it's not the internal HD,
Gotta be something.
Do it again and read the error mess completely.

How many choices of drive do yo get

Collapse -
hello mrmacfixit
by arred / September 30, 2005 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Reason

I just get one option of hard drive, and it got a red circle around it i think and if I want to choose that hard drive, i get the warning it say something like, you can`t install mac os or start mac os in these disk, it does not says why.

Collapse -
Hard Drives
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: hello mrmacfixit

I'm not sure what is going on here.
Am I correct in assuming that the Mac boots normally when the Installation CD is NOT in the drive?
What OS does the machine normally boot up into?
If the OS that is installed is higher than the OS on the CD, it will not let you install. "Unless you change the options"
How much free space is left on the HD? This could be a space issue.
What RAM do you have installed?
The 500Mhz iMac is capable of supporting Panther, so the machine itself should not be an issue.

Collapse -
hard drives.
by arred / October 1, 2005 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard Drives

The thing is that the mac was in a public dumper, I saw it and I pick it up, took it home, did not have memory or HD, I put some memory on it and a 6 gigs HD and installed panther with no problem aat all, but then I decided to change the HD. I had one in my garage, it`s a 30 gigs. remove the 6 gigs and put the 30 gigs, and everything was going real smooth until I got to the section where i got to choose where to install the OS, I just get one option, but it got a red spot whit an ( ! ) symbol and if I click on that option it tells me that I cannot install the OS in that disk or even start the machine in that disk, the memory, I`m not sure but it might be 128 mb. Before I installed the 30 gigs I reformated using windows, maybe th`ts is the problem?

Collapse -
You are correct!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 1, 2005 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: hard drives.

The drive you have in is formatted for a PC and not for a Mac.
Restart the machine from the CD but do NOT run the installer. Exit the Installer under the File menu.
Then run the Disk Utility, which is also on the CD, and initialize the drive for Mac HFS+ Extended.
Once you have done that, restart and your installation should proceed without further mishap.
It has been my experience that Macs found in dumpsters were usually thrown there by disgruntled thieves who thought they had a PC.

Good Luck

Collapse -
by arred / October 1, 2005 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: You are correct!

mr macfix it I`ll try that tomorrow, and let you know what happens, the machine was not in a dumpster it was already in a land fill, did not have memory or HD but I took it thinking I could fix it, is got a DVD, where can I get a CD burner?

Collapse -
They are available
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 1, 2005 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

but let's get to walking before we start running on this project
Good luck.

Keep us informed

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?