Computer Help forum

General discussion

Installing OS

by psions5 / May 24, 2005 10:55 PM PDT

Is there anyway at all to Install an OS on a machine if it does not have a CD Rom or Floppy Drive. I got a Little Compaq Ipaq 1.X Mini PC For the Breakfast bar. I just cant figure out how to install an O/S On it. Can anyone help or do I need to order it a multibay CD-Rom Drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Installing OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Installing OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Installing OS

I will not hold hands on this procedure. If this much information doesn't cut it, then you need to get the right hardware.

-> Pull the drive out and prepare it with a Windows 98 boot diskette on a donor desktop with the drive on the primary IDE channel. Use one of those 4 buck laptop to disk drive adapters if need be. Prepare it to boot to dos.

-> Now copy the OS CD to the hard disk. Windows 98 has all its contents in Win98, NT/2000/xp in another directory. This is an EXPERTS ONLY install so I will not give the exact details so newbies don't attempt it.

-> Put the dos booting drive back into the host machine. Boot up, cd to the directory with the OS and run that OS's installer.

-> Did you forget all the drivers? You'll want to place those on the hard disk too.

---> This is never a good idea for a machine you'll give to someone else. Here's why. There is no CD to boot from to repair a busted/corrupt OS. For Windows 98 and XP you can't use tools like SFC.

But you asked and the answer is in the above with adequate caveats.

Bob

Collapse -
Part 2. What is that machine? Most iPAQs are Windows Ce or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Installing OS

Windows Mobile 2003 based PDAs. These have the OS in the flash memory and run that plus some additional programs you can find "out there."

You will NEVER be able to load "Windows" on such a device.

You can however check with the compaq.com site to see if an updated firmware is available. DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU NEED SOME NEW FEATURE IN SAID FIRMWARE.

Bob

Collapse -
Different machine
by psions5 / May 24, 2005 11:47 PM PDT

Im Well aware of The Ipaq PDA Range. Compaq/HP Did an Ipaq Desktop range as well, they are like mini itx units for businesses and schools, Internet Cafes that sort of thing. It came pre loaded with 98SE but I would like 2000 Pro, The Reply to my message was a little bit complicated, are there any easier ways?

Collapse -
That is the easy way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Different machine

As to the model, I know of the models but you didn't supply exact models so I had to post 2 replies.

I don't want to supply any more info about the method since it is truly an expert only device. It does work and demands only entry level command line skills.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.