General discussion

Installing On Gateway 2000:

I have a Gateway 2000, and I am wondering what OSs can be put on it.

It has a Pentium II processor, and I don't think Windows XP will work on that. It boots into Windows 2000 Professional successfully. Unfortunately it is password protected. I think the hard drive is NTFS.

Should I buy Windows 2000 Professional and erase the hard drive and re-install Windows 2000 Professional??????????

Or is it possible to install another OS on it???????? Perhaps one newer than Windows 2000 professional?????????

Can a Linux OS be put on this computer, and if so, which ones....????
and also how do I install it????????????

Which has more software compatibility:
Windows 2000 Professional,
or
Linux???????????????
I am new to Linux...I have not used it...Can it do anything that other OSs can do??????

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Installing On Gateway 2000:
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Installing On Gateway 2000:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
answers

>Should I buy Windows 2000 Professional and erase the hard drive and re-install Windows 2000 Professional??????????
No because win2k sux and costs money.
>Or is it possible to install another OS on it???????? Perhaps one newer than Windows 2000 professional?????????
Yes on ex. Linux distribution designed for legacy PC. On example this one: http://puppylinux.org/ some others too. Just not those shiny ones with 3D cube desktops for sure.

Can a Linux OS be put on this computer, and if so, which ones....????
I suggest one already. Others may be ArchLinux, Gentoo Linux etc. many of them, but not all.

and also how do I install it????????????
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HowToUsePuppy

Which has more software compatibility:
Windows 2000 Professional,
or
Linux???????????????
They both have their own software. Depends on what you need and on how much you are willing to use other soft not M$ soft. M$ do not make soft for Linux, but in general Linux has more soft that win2k.

I am new to Linux...I have not used it...Can it do anything that other OSs can do??????
In general yes in some cases more. But on ex. die hard M$ office 2000 fan will encounter problems because Linux has its own offices and M$ do not make soft for Linux. Linux offices: Openoffice, goffice, koffice. At least first one opens M$ office files well.

- Collapse -
Use a Live Distro

Like Mandriva One 2010. I have used Linux on P2 systems before and runs just fine. I will suggest to get more RAM. I think, this system can take 1GB or 2GB max and RAM for it now days is cheap. If you want to run Linux, I would suggest the LXDE or XFCE desktops since they are light weigh and looks like KDE (Windows looks). KDE 4 is too much for that computer, can pull it off, but it will be borderline in performance.

If you get the Madriva Linux 2010 DVD it has all the desktops for you to choose from.

As far Windows 2000, you can use Winternals ERD disc and use the Locksmith application to unlock the W2K OS. For that computer W2K works really well, XP is perhaps too heavy for it. I still run W2K and I think is the best MS OS ever made.

- Collapse -
You can put windows OS and/Linux Distros in it;

But what's the computer for...mostly? At this point, I have to say I have heard of WinME and WinVISTA SUX but never Win2K (especially the professional version). But no matter, I believer it's no longer supported by MS and lots of newer 3rd party applications don't support it either. Personally, for windows, win2k is what I use and for linux, PCLinuxOS is what I use.

- Collapse -
reason why win2k sux imo

10 years old. Some new soft not working.

- Collapse -
That...I have to agree with you.

Yeah, I been saying to myself..one of these day I will have to give some money to Bill Gate. So far I have found out that the latest Nero, Corel, and Divx applications don't work with win2k.

- Collapse -
no

There is many free alternatives for this soft on Linux.

- Collapse -
I admit I have not looked that closely about ...

some of these application software for Linux. I am now beginning getting interested in working hi-def video, hence the applications that I mention in reference to win2k. What your experience with them? Any Linux software? I have no problem paying for them (modest pricing but no need to be free).

- Collapse -
All i do with video is Avidemux

Id do not know what you want to do with that video, but Avidemux is ok for all my tasks. I heard that is not very powerful through.
There is other soft too like Cinelerra, but i never tried it.

- Collapse -
Maybe one day I will look into these and...

see what it can do. Like I said; either linux, hopefully, or got to part some money for Bill Gate, hehe.

- Collapse -
Something Else:

It is a Gateway 2000 with a CD Rom not DVD drive.

Does Linux come in CDs, Can it be installed on CDs?????
Do you think that the Gateway 2000 will take DVD drive?????? I think it will if I install a DVD drive but I am not sure.

The computer is an extra computer. I have had for several months...about one year but it is sitting there taking up space so I am going to upgrade it as much as possible.

I am going to use it for my usual computer needs... (and none of which is getting on YouTube and playing games... lol) only typing and web browsing...sorting files. and also whatever nice things that Linux can do.

I think I will install Linux on it. I have never tried Linux and I always like the idea of more operating systems. have 9.2.2 and 10.4.11 and XP so far. I have several laptops also...bought on ebay...with parts missing. I am probably putting Linux on them.

What types of Linux will work again???? What about the Da mn small Linux. ?????

- Collapse -
Aswers

>Does Linux come in CDs, Can it be installed on CDs?????
Yes it comes mainly on CD, DVD and USB drives.
There is even other options for rare special needs, but they are not so easy to perform.
Do you think that the Gateway 2000 will take DVD drive??????
I do not know. Probably yes.

What types of Linux will work again???? What about the Da mn small Linux. ?????
I suggested Puppy but Damn small is Ok too. Damn small uses old 2.4.x kernel and has goal to be only 50 Mb!!! size (as the name suggests) including all programs so do not expect much power from it, but you might find it useful.
I think you should try both and chose. They both work from CD without install so it will not take much time to test.

If you think they both lack features so you may try big ones, but very customizable ones like Arch, Gentoo, it is possible to adapt them to your needs and hardware, but they are not so easy to use, but possible if you do not feart to read some manuals.

CNET Forums

Forum Info